: Shirley MacLaine
Topics & Articles
    home . help . cartview cart

News Navigation Spacer Our Community Navigation Spacer Membership Navigation Spacer About Shirley Navigation Spacer Broadcasts Navigation Spacer Shirley's World Shopping Navigation Spacer Astrology Navigation Spacer Contact Us
Life is a Bowl of Cherries
Welcome to ShirleyMacLaine.com
IE Members - Login or Join Now
View Cart | My Account | Email a Friend This Page | Join Shirley's Mailing List
Encounter Board Menu
Menu
Menu
Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
The Perfect Valentine from The Organic Wine Company!
Taste pleasing wines made with Earth-friendly, certified organic grapes, free of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, and other synthetic chemicals.

The Organic Wine Company is not just planet friendly, they are people friendly and there to answer any question you may have! Order your wine today!
1-888-ECOWINE
(1-888-326-9463)

The Organic Wine Company

Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
Adventure and discovery was the enticement that drew Lee Elders to this wild lawless land; the supernatural world of the Shuara that live in a mystical realm of ayahuasca-induced visions where the ethereal world is encased within our third dimensional reality. Along the way he discovered his true self - his Kakarma. However incredible some of the incidents may seem this is a true story.
Expeditions: Gold, Shamans and Green Fire

Sponsor the Encounter Board

Go Back Encounter Board > Main Category > Meditations

Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Red face Peace be unto you!

We're lucky enough to have fantastic choices in Nature here where I live too Shirley to do walking,hiking,biking,jogging mindfulness meditations.It's funny but when you really get into it,through the breath and /or mantras, worries about tripping,falling,crashing,getting lost etc. seem to fall (maybe a bad choice of word? away as does time. Sometimes all the beauty around you seems to be enhanced to all the senses! I luv travelling to other places that have labyrinths.There is one at a Jesuit retreat nearby,out in the countryside yet near a busy road.Whe you're walking this particular labyrinth, all the busy-ness fades away.I took a dear friend there once who had just recovered from a severe stroke.It was both very challenging and a way of finding serenity and grace for us both.We will never forget that experience!I love repeating mantras with breath at these times and if I may I'd love to share a fave with you all and I'd love to hear more from others!
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance
We're lucky enough to have fantastic choices in Nature here where I live too Shirley to do walking,hiking,biking,jogging mindfulness meditations.It's funny but when you really get into it,through the breath and /or mantras, worries about tripping,falling,crashing,getting lost etc. seem to fall (maybe a bad choice of word? away as does time. Sometimes all the beauty around you seems to be enhanced to all the senses! I luv travelling to other places that have labyrinths.There is one at a Jesuit retreat nearby,out in the countryside yet near a busy road.Whe you're walking this particular labyrinth, all the busy-ness fades away.I took a dear friend there once who had just recovered from a severe stroke.It was both very challenging and a way of finding serenity and grace for us both.We will never forget that experience!I love repeating mantras with breath at these times and if I may I'd love to share a fave with you all and I'd love to hear more from others!
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

Love this post Renaissance, Thank You.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

We have both an indoor and an outdoor labyrinth on our property - come visit our convent! There's also a Jesuit Retreat Center about 15 miles from me - they have a labyrinth, too - and a Catholic convent up the road just finished a gorgeous outdoor labyrinth, built with beautiful pavers.

I also tend to walk one at least once a week, if possible. Just clears the mind and keeps things in perspective for me. Amazing how the experience changes with the seasons, time of day/night, solo or with companions, etc etc. Have been doing this for years now - absolutely my favorite kind of moving meditation.

Love,
Lura

Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM

This sounds wonderful, Lura. I like what you say how the experience changes with the seasons, light, time of day, etc. I will sit out on my deck after dinner and have noticed the same thing. The light will be different, for example, and put me in a different mood than say a month before. It just shows me how our moods and thoughts can be very much connected to our environment. Each season tends to bring forth different feelings and emotions. Which is why we should appreciate all that nature has to offer, whether we associate negative or positive feelings with each passing season. We just have to be open to loving all that this beautiful planet has to offer.
Love,
Joanne

Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 AM

I totally agree, Joanne. Your post also led me to the reflection on how our "exterior" affects our "interior," whether we are consciously aware of it or not.

Ex: walking an outdoor labyrinth in bare feet is profoundly different than walking it in Birkenstocks! Wearing a long black habit affects my posture and walking rythmn differently than if I was wearing sweats and sneakers.

Etc etc.

It's very windy here today - I'm sure this will be a vastly different experience than my walking meditation in Tuesday's torrential down-pour!

Love,
Lura

Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Smile

Oh I love your posts ladies! so very insightful..thanx for that.oooo i'd luv to visit your labyrinths dear Lura.Indoor too!Wow!. I have to say I think for me,fall and spring are my fave times of the year.for walking etc,the renewal and the hunkering down cycles,Persephone arises to the light then back down to the darkness,a beautiful ancient metaphor,a great reminder of our own hopes of renewal and time to reflect upon those people and things we love and look forward to.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

When I walk I have to remind myself to look up so I don't miss what surrounds me. I used to force my head up just enough to take in my surroundings before I would find myself looking down again. I always looked down because it was a natural pose to find myself in while thinking. I realize now that I have to balance my thinking with time for just being. Now when I walk I do more than just hold my head up high, I watch the skies. Not only do I have to be conscious of my surroundings so I don't trip, but watching the sky reminds me how much space we have around us. During the Spring and Summer months the skies expand for me. They are clear. I bring a pen and paper to jot notes so I can think later. In the Fall months the air is crisp and I am surrounded by colour. The skies start to cloud up and turn grey. I focus more on being mindful and in the present.
In the winter.....well, the dark, cold, damp weather makes anything a challenge. I will let you know how it goes this year!
I like to walk my dog a lot, but I feel guilty meditating or thinking when I am with her. I want to give her my undivided attention and I enjoy watching her.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Default When I walk....

if I find myself feeling particularly close to Nature, animals seem to pop out of the woodwork. Small snakes, great blue herons, frogs, dragonflies, squirrels and birds abound. I find these help me to get out of my own way and to just be. I often take my camera with me to capture the beauty. I have been lucky. Love, C.
Attached Images

My father says almost the whole world is asleep.
Everyone you know, everyone you see, everyone you talk to.
He says that only a few people are awake and
they live in a state of constant total amazement.
...Joe vs. The Volcano

Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 PM

I recently graduated from college and have been having some difficulty in transitioning onto the next chapter of my life. Two Sundays ago, I was sick and tired of feeling trapped in my house and having nowhere to go, so I decided to head to a local park near my house by myself.

This was a wonderful idea. I sat on a bench and wrote in my journal for a little bit. I then walked around the different paths in and around the forest. I was surrounded by trees and about 100 feet to my right was a magnificent pond. Between the fall foliage, the reflection of the sun along the pond and the distant laughter and screams of children playing--I finally felt at ease. Nonetheless, I went returned and repeated my new meditation last Sunday.

I just used this as an opportunity to gather my thoughts. Why am I having so much difficulty in transitioning from college into the real world? Why have I become extremely nostalgic? How can I make my life better back home now that everyone else I used to be close with has since relocated? Why has nothing panned out despite my tenacity and persistence?

It then dawned on me that nature and I were truly in sync. I thought of all my thoughts and memories as the leaves that were changing color and falling. Before I feel like I am finally heading in the right direction in my life, I have to be able to let go of everything, especially the belief that I am in absolute control of everything. When I am able to do this, things will begin to fall in place. Fresh and new. Things will begin to make sense again and I will know I am finally moving forward.
Attached Images

Last edited by tjs1025 : 09-30-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs1025
I recently graduated from college and have been having some difficulty in transitioning onto the next chapter of my life. Two Sundays ago, I was sick and tired of feeling trapped in my house and having nowhere to go, so I decided to head to a local park near my house by myself.

This was a wonderful idea. I sat on a bench and wrote in my journal for a little bit. I then walked around the different paths in and around the forest. I was surrounded by trees and about 100 feet to my right was a magnificent pond. Between the fall foliage, the reflection of the sun along the pond and the distant laughter and screams of children playing--I finally felt at ease. Nonetheless, I went returned and repeated my new meditation last Sunday.

I just used this as an opportunity to gather my thoughts. Why am I having so much difficulty in transitioning from college into the real world? Why have I become extremely nostalgic? How can I make my life better back home now that everyone else I used to be close with has since relocated? Why has nothing panned out despite my tenacity and persistence?

It then dawned on me that nature and I were truly in sync. I thought of all my thoughts and memories as the leaves that were changing color and falling. Before I feel like I am finally heading in the right direction in my life, I have to be able to let go of everything, especially the belief that I am in absolute control of everything. When I am able to do this, things will begin to fall in place. Fresh and new. Things will begin to make sense again and I will know I am finally moving forward.

So nice! Enjoy walking new paths and don't look back! Past is done but future is just opening its door to you. May your journey be filed with harmony, love and peace.