: Shirley MacLaine
Topics & Articles
    home . help . cartview cart

News Navigation Spacer Our Community Navigation Spacer Membership Navigation Spacer About Shirley Navigation Spacer Broadcasts Navigation Spacer Shirley's World Shopping Navigation Spacer Astrology Navigation Spacer Contact Us
Life is a Bowl of Cherries
Welcome to ShirleyMacLaine.com
IE Members - Login or Join Now
View Cart | My Account | Email a Friend This Page | Join Shirley's Mailing List
Encounter Board Menu
Menu
Menu
Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
The Perfect Valentine from The Organic Wine Company!
Taste pleasing wines made with Earth-friendly, certified organic grapes, free of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, and other synthetic chemicals.

The Organic Wine Company is not just planet friendly, they are people friendly and there to answer any question you may have! Order your wine today!
1-888-ECOWINE
(1-888-326-9463)

The Organic Wine Company

Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
Adventure and discovery was the enticement that drew Lee Elders to this wild lawless land; the supernatural world of the Shuara that live in a mystical realm of ayahuasca-induced visions where the ethereal world is encased within our third dimensional reality. Along the way he discovered his true self - his Kakarma. However incredible some of the incidents may seem this is a true story.
Expeditions: Gold, Shamans and Green Fire

Sponsor the Encounter Board

Go Back Encounter Board > free threads category > Earth Changes - NEW
View Poll Results: Are you prepared?
Yes 4 15.38%
No, but I plan to prepare 8 30.77%
I need to do more 12 46.15%
I don't think there will be a problem 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb What is disaster

Hi All

There seems to be some question as to what kind of disaster to focus on for the poll. However, as I learned from Red Cross and Fema training, a disaster is anything that disrupts life as we know it, hence I began this post with the bigger question encompassing all potential issues into a major category. From that point people can individualize based on their locations, intuition, etc.

However… Using me as an example: I live in the mountains, 20 miles from a city, in a forest on a hillside with an average winter snow total of 160 inches. Logic says my concerns would be focused on fires (as we just went thru up here), snowstorms, earthquakes, which narrows to food, water, medical, etc. Flood, tornadoes, hurricanes, shouldn’t be part of the logical equation, right? Well, not necessarily. Coconino County was under a tornado watch yesterday! That’s a first! A couple years ago we had a flash flood from the snowmelt above our 7200 foot elevation that threatened to wash out the bridge that connects us to the road to town. Disaster, be it natural or manmade, can threaten anyone no matter where you live. Members of this site have gone thru everything imaginable. Hurricanes last year, typhoons two years ago, California fires, tornadoes, floods (like LS and other members are experiencing this year), earthquakes, and even volcanic eruptions. Most of us are caught off guard. But we don’t have to be. We can be prepared, ready for anything and unafraid of what the future will bring

What Shirley and I are trying to do with this post and future posts, radio programs, and chats, is to raise awareness. If you have heard her programs, you know she is an advocate of “hoeing your own row of potatoes”, which means being prepared and taking responsibility for yourself and those you love. Neither of us think that is limited to just the physical aspects as mental, emotional and spiritual preparedness is also important. We want sm.com to be a place to learn ways to prepare on all levels!

How does surrender fit in? I think that is a discussion to have.
Does surrender mean not preparing? Should it?

Shirley and I both lean in the direction of that old saying, “God helps those who help themselves” and then we can surrender.

I just had a fascinating discussion with Dolores Cannon (IE guest June 18) and what she is getting on future events. It’s going to be a good show and plays right into the emotional, mental and spiritual prep for change!

Discussion can open minds and prepare us in ways we may never have imagined, so lets use this forum to its full advantage!

Blessings,
BE

Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 PM

Boy this place has changed.

Whenever I tried to bring these things up I was ostracized as an unevolved fear spreader. That was 3-4 years ago - what has changed?

There has been a long lead time to all this but still people aren't seriously doing anything, witness:-

"I have enough garden space to grow food for family"
"I have enough supplies for a few months - if the electricity stays on"
" I have tarpulins etc.

Here is a clue, start watching the international news (Mogadishu, Sudan), read the first hand accounts of Katrina victims, read what happened to the farmers when bureaucrats went knocking, see how petty officialdom operates during these times, see how gangs evolve, see what children become most useful for.

Fancy your local librarian/parking infringement officer/teacher/welfare worker rocking up to your door and deciding what your supplies can be used for and what internment camp is suitable for you, which one is suitable for your children, and what should be done with your pets.

One thing that was clear about Katrina was that anyone who had prepared, or anyone who was travelling reasonably well (when everyone else wasn't) was treated with open contempt, suspicion and a total lack of respect by self appointed 'authorities' who took it upon themselves to run the show. (and everyone elses life)

Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Further to the post above, try and be aware of your community, the people in it and decide if you need to move or if it is safe to stay.

No amount of preparation will help if you live among thugs, if anything it will make matters worse.

If you live in the country then you have a huge advantage, but don't just think about how you can grow your food -- start doing it now.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Default potatoes

I remember someone saying...if there is only one things you can eat....when i was pregnant and so sick....it was potatoes..

I have talking about planting....and now i know why....you can store them in sand and paper in the basement...with apples...for along time.....

as for water....hopefully a rain barrel....or a river...near by...

heat? i plan on some solar heat soon also...if not...i have sheep skin everything.....

love kb

Old 06-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Hi wakeful - good to see you.

I think there will always be some who feel preparedness propagates fear. Perhaps a more clear view is that if you are prepared, there is nothing to fear? I have been prepared for years – pre Y2K. Just part of me, my heritage, and what I was taught as a kid and it doesn’t hurt to be married to a guy that lived in the Amazon for six months of every year for 16 years. Like Puma, knowledge of what to do and how to do it, is key to survival.

It requires common sense, logic, and ingenuity, as well as feeling secure in being prepared. Shirley is prep person, too. She’s going off the grid, although, that isn’t a concern I have. We can do quite well without electricity and if it is a major grid failure, well, no one will have TV LOL.

Some think I am a bit off, but this knowledge and prep has come in handy more times than I care to count. How many would know what to do with a freak spring storm that left us with four feet of snow, below zero temps and no power? Some of our neighbors, previous city dwellers, needed quick lessons. So yes, community is important, too.

BE

Old 06-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to IndigoWolf

Hi gang,

Perhaps part of it is that we would prefer not to think of anything like that happening around us, or even in the US. In other words, perhaps part of it is denial. I remember the absolute shock that went through me when 9-11 happened. Who would ever think someone would do such a thing? but they did. Maybe it's because it makes us feel vulnerable or we don't know where to start even thinking about it?

Mother Earth isn't politically inclined. Take a look at "Earthchanges TV" and just count the number of incidents of recent volcanic activity and earthquakes. It will make you think twice. Look at the increase in tornadoes and hurricanes over the past few years. I don't think that haveing a few things around in case of an emergency is coming from a place of fear but some folks do.

Up north it made sense to stick a blanket and a can of sterno in the car along with a candy bar or two during the winter months. That little bit of preparedness has saved lives during white-out blizzards. Most people keep a fire extinguisher in the home in case of fire. As you said:"God helps those who help themselves." Our place may seem like over kill but it's really more from the viewpoint of being Earth friendly and knowing the part of the country we live in that it evolved to the place it is today rather than some sort of fear based thinking about disasters. But If something should ever happen hopefully we would be able to help our neighbors as well as being ok ourselves.

If it can happen in Indonesia it can happen here.

Love,
Lala
but to be in the mystery...from "What The Bleep"

Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM

Dear Folks,

Unfortunately, it is a truism that you get what you can take and keep what you can defend, or hide. Never tell the local authorities what you do and don't have. In down to the bone emergencies they will "comandeer" it or take it by force. Hide any vital resources and if you have close neighbors make sure everyone is singing off the same sheet of music. State laws vary whether or not you can be forced to evacuate. Evaluate carefully whether you may be better off out of the area, the chance for working transportation may only come once. If you already know you are staying put, then hide when authorities come knocking. If you know they will come around then post a letter on your door something to the effect of "Dear Mary, we tried to call you but couldn't get through. We went with the Jones family to 1200 kalamazoo dr., Kalamazoo, Washinton. Will meet you there, be safe. Love, Mom and Dad". That way they are less likely to break in and check the place for occupants even if a vehicle is present.
Food, try to have 60 days of preserved food available that doesn't require refridgeration or a dry environment. Dried foods are good but have them in individual serving pouches, even moist air will cause bulk packages to go bad. MREs are your best bet and even contain a bit of toilet paper which can be a God send. If you can preserve your own food make sure you put it up in individual small jars or cans. Remember there is no saving left overs, even if it doesn't go bad it will attract other hungry critters you may not want to run into. Make sure you stock 60 days of pet food too.
Water; purification units are a must. Various hunting and camping magazines have small hand held water purification units for sale. Buy 2, one as a back up, they are light plastic and accidents happen. You will need a minimum of three additional membranes and also get plenty of both chlorine and iodine purification tablets. These are important in killing organisms too small to be filtered out by the membrane like cryptospiridia and viruses. Read the instructions when you recieve the unit, make sure all the parts are there and that you have enough bottled water to last for the time the purified water has to sit for full decontamination. If you have a toxic mud puddle (barring strong acids) these units can make the water drinkable. If you are allergic to iodine use the chlorine tablets. If you live in an area with a lot of leaf mold use the iodine tablets. If water won't be available consider a well with a generator or manual device to work a pump. If that is not available reserve a lot of space for water storage, keep it dark and rotate your stock every 3 months making sure to rinse your containers well with strong chlorine before you refill them.
Fire; Camp stoves are great but make sure you have both lighters and water-proofed matches enough to work it over several months. Replace fuel yearly. Open fires are an option for warmth, cooking, defense and signaling. If you don't want them to be spotted make sure you keep them small and use only very dry material. Any heat source including lanterns should only be used in confined spaces with a lot of caution. Remember they all give off a lot of carbon monoxide. It would be a damn shame if you survive the disaster only to kill yourself while cooking or trying to stay warm.
Shelter; Buy a heavy-duty insulated tent, check it out for ease of assembly and parts then pack away in a safe but accessable area. Also have on hand several large rolls of heavy (black if you can get it) plastic sheeting and two rolls of duct tape per roll of sheeting. This stuff is mighty handy for everything from building a light-duty tent, wrapping up with in wind, making wet weather ponchos, constructing solar stills and creating "catches" for rainwater and blacking out windows. If you think you might be prone to using it all at once, buy more. Have several 100 ft rolls of nylon rope. Arctic winter clothing is a good investment if you live in a cold area, remember your first shelter is what you put around you. If you live in an area that is likely to flood try to get two shallow draft boats and store most of your equipment in one and reserving the other for family and basic equipment.
Medical: Ensure you have a 30 day supply of your current medications over and above what you are currently taking. Talk to your local doc to get a 30 day supply of antibiotics to include a strong gram negative, gram positive and sulfa based antibiotic for each member of your family. Write down your docs instructions for use. Depending on your level of skill you may want to check out vetrinary supplies for suture material. Any first aid kit should include wire mesh splints for "set in place" fractures as well as the inflateble splints for long bone injuries. Check wth your local paramedics for a good list of basic compress bandages etc. Athletic Z-wrap and tape is a good idea for severe sprains when its important to keep moving. Getting classes to the advanced first aid level with local Red Cross or community college would be a good thing. Include paint masks in your kit, at least two for each family member. You will need them if you have to travel through/endure ash, smoke or blowing dust. Pollen masks can be too porous. If you have an infant member you will have to construct a plastic sheet cocoon with the mask sealed to the plastic over the infants face. There may be some Israeli based companies that have a chemically hardened version of these.
If you are staying put consider your hygiene needs. You may need to construct jakes and having quick lime to take care of it is important. A foldable shovel is important. You need to take care of waste for 2 very important reasons, disease control and attracting hunting critters. Remember entire armies have fallen for lack of taking care of jakes. Its a big hole in the ground, you poop or pee, sprinkle quick lime then add dirt over it. A litter box for people.
There are gobs of other stuff to do dependent on your environment and the nature of the challenge you're facing. Just use your brain and your determination. This will hopefully get folks started thinking about stuff.
Sincerely,
Cybergrape

Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Default The Surge Inland.

I don't like this.

It will be in the better interest those who live inland from the states bordering the Pacific Ocean to be well armed.

The resulting exodus of multitudes inland is going to effect the infra-structure of roadways and essential services of the entire Untied States of America.

There will be a level of lawlessness that will cause the executive branch of the American government to declare martial law.

The Tsunami in the Indian Ocean, and the Hurricane upon the Gulf Coast were simple previews of what is yet to come.

A year or two ago I was being called a dooms day profit when I posted information like this.

Now I can feel people are beginning to see in their hearts the very real possibilities of what I am speaking of.

The Planet Earth is a dynamic biosphere, along with the rest of this Solar System which obviously displays the evidence of a violent past.

The Earth is not a pock-marked cratered body because of the dynamic forces at work weathering the planetary surface.

The Earth herself is a moving living being with a surface which sub-ducts and reemerges in a continuing cycle of renewal that happens over periods of time which are far to vast for humanity to experience on this level of temporal existence.

Part of this Living Planets cycle of Evolution is the very real interaction with the rest of the cosmos through bodily impact with heavenly bodies.

Comet Shoemaker-Levy impacted the Planet Jupiter after only a short period after being discovered.

There are forces in-place that will not allow Humanity the luxury of using nuclear devices in space.

Humanity will survive to achieve Divinity,

and not by it's own volition,

but through Divine Intervention.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 PM

Dear Osiris,

Being armed is good thing but you have to pick your battles. Its no use to try and start a firefight with those who are better equipped and can call for back up. "You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run." Escape and evade is a useful skill, don't count on your weapons alone. The best weapon you have is sitting on your shoulders.
Sincerely,
Cybergrape

Old 06-09-2006, 06:56 PM

Talking

Dear Cybergrape,

Could not resist.
Attached Images