: Shirley MacLaine
Topics & Articles
    home . help . cartview cart

News Navigation Spacer Our Community Navigation Spacer Membership Navigation Spacer About Shirley Navigation Spacer Broadcasts Navigation Spacer Shirley's World Shopping Navigation Spacer Astrology Navigation Spacer Contact Us
Life is a Bowl of Cherries
Welcome to ShirleyMacLaine.com
IE Members - Login or Join Now
View Cart | My Account | Email a Friend This Page | Join Shirley's Mailing List
Encounter Board Menu
Menu
Menu
Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
The Perfect Valentine from The Organic Wine Company!
Taste pleasing wines made with Earth-friendly, certified organic grapes, free of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, and other synthetic chemicals.

The Organic Wine Company is not just planet friendly, they are people friendly and there to answer any question you may have! Order your wine today!
1-888-ECOWINE
(1-888-326-9463)

The Organic Wine Company

Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
Adventure and discovery was the enticement that drew Lee Elders to this wild lawless land; the supernatural world of the Shuara that live in a mystical realm of ayahuasca-induced visions where the ethereal world is encased within our third dimensional reality. Along the way he discovered his true self - his Kakarma. However incredible some of the incidents may seem this is a true story.
Expeditions: Gold, Shamans and Green Fire

Sponsor the Encounter Board

Go Back Encounter Board > free threads category > Health and Stress Reduction

Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Default Melatonin Can Help Lower Your Risk Of Prostate Cancer

(NaturalNews) Recent research has pointed to a link between prostate cancer and the sleep hormone melatonin. The study, which included 928 Icelandic men, indicated that individuals who have a higher level of melatonin are less likely to develop prostate cancer.

The research was presented at the American Association for Cancer Research, and until it is peer-reviewed, the data is considered preliminary but very promising. The lead author of the study, Sarah Markt, had this to say regarding its outcomes: "Men who had higher levels of melatonin had a 75 percent reduced risk for developing advanced prostate cancer compared with men who had lower melatonin. The risk was especially reduced when it came to advanced disease."

Over 235,000 United States citizens will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year, with over 29,000 dying from the disease. Nearly 40 percent of men over the age of 50 have prostate cancer. Most of the individuals will never even know it and live a healthy life. The trouble can come when it is diagnosed and overtreated with Big Pharma protocols, making prostate cancer one of the most overtreated cancers.

The potential link between melatonin and prostate cancer is that low melatonin levels and the accompanying disrupted sleep have been associated with an increase in the risk of developing cancer. Melatonin levels have been linked to prostate cancer, but it has also been associated with other cancers, including breast cancer.

Not only has melatonin been show to decrease the risk of prostate cancer, a 2012 study by the University of South Carolina indicated that daily vitamin D consumption can also help prevent prostate cancer. Another natural way to prevent or cure prostate cancer is ginger extract (Zingiber officinale). A British Journal of Nutrition study demonstrated that a daily dose of ginger extract was capable of cutting prostate tumor growth in half.

While the preliminary research in the Icelandic study is too early to recommend men taking daily melatonin supplements, it does warrant further research on the topic. It also offers hope for a connection between many types of cancer and the sleep hormone, and therefore a potential way to prevent or treat certain cancers. The study author, Markt, concluded, "Prospective studies to investigate the interplay between sleep duration, sleep disturbance and melatonin levels on the risk for prostate cancer are needed."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/043624_m...l#ixzz2rEh0K19Z

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Hi NYS
Thank you for this post.

Melatonin does so much...
It's a fabulous antioxidant, helps reduce skin cancer risks and helps you sleep plus so much more, including helping recover from jet lag. Unfortunately the body stops producing it as we age.

I recommend everyone speak to their naturopath about it and how it may individually help them.

Even on days when I take nothing else - I take this and magnesium every night.

Explore - find out how it can help you.
BE

Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Default "I take this and magnesium every night." - Brit

Hi, Brit -

I wanted to ask you, why at night rather than in the morning?

XO,

Robbie

Roxie's Robin

Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Hello
Can I answer for her?
Melatonin is the natural hormone that regulates the body's sleep cycles. It has to be dark in order for melatonin to be secreted from the pineal gland. By the time you're in your 40s the pineal is barely producing any so you supplement to ensure a good night's sleep.

Studies show it is also helpful for weight loss and balancing cholesterol levels - both good and bad.

But if you want to sleep - take it one hour before bed and retreat to a dark room. It helps.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 PM

Default Melatonin & Magnesium Great Cocktail For Better Sleep

You tell him Shirley ! LOL

If you want to enhance the benefits of Melatonin to sleep better, take Magnesium Citrate supplements together with Melatonin 1 hour before you retire. Also, if you can pull it off, go to sleep between 9pm to 10pm as hormones are manufactured between 10pm and 12am. When you have a healthy and sound sleep your body produces and creates more hormones.

Sweet Dreams,
NYSpirit

Last edited by nyspirit : 02-02-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Administrator

And...
if you're really having a rough time getting to sleep... trying eating some healthy carbs - like rice crackers or gluten free cereal - before bed. It seems to kick the melatonin up a notch.

Rob - you take it at night because of the natural light dark cycles. Melatonin works best in darkness. If you take it during the day, or if you try to sleep in a light room, it won't help much if at any.
BE

Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Smile Thank you all!

I appreciate your responses, Shirley, NYS, and Brit. I usually go to bed between 10:00-10:30 so it will be simple for me to feed the cats, and give Roxie a snack, half an hour earlier.

I was surprised to find out I am already taking 3 mg every night in a supplement called Benesom (http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/benesom). It is the best sleeping aid that I have found since I was in Germany and took something there with valerian and magnesium combined. Benesom combines calcium (70mg), magnesium (140 mg), Chinese skullcap (400 mg), passionflower (200 mg), melissa lemon balm leaf extract (150 mg), valerian (100 mg), hops (50 mg), and melatonin (3mg). I will incorporate your ideas, including retreating into a dark room after I take it. Of course, Roxie will have to join me.
Attached Images

Roxie's Robin