Thread: Intense Dreams
View Single Post

Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Default Freud on Dreams

A fragment from a case study reprinted in the Norton Anthology of World Liturature, volume F, Second edition:

"I argued in my book, The Interpretation of Dreams (1900), that every dream is a wish which is represented as fulfilled, that the representation acts as a disguise if the wish is a repressed one, belonging to the unconscious, and that except in the case of children's dreams only an unconscious wish or one that reaches down into the unconscious has the force necessary for a formation of a dream.

I fancy my theory would have been more certain of general acceptance if I had contented myself with maintaining that every dream had a meaning, which could be discovered by means of a certain process of interpretation;and that when the interpretation had been completed the dream could be replaced by thoughts which would fall into place at an easily recognizable point in the waking mental life of the dreamer...

...But instead of this I formulated a generalization according to which the meaning of dreams is limited to a single form, to the representation of wishes, and by so doing I aroused a universal inclination to dissent."