View Single Post

Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM

I was reading something in a book by Norman Fischer called Sailing Home: Using the Wisdom of Homer's Odyssey to Navigate Life's Perils and Pitfalls and was reminded of this thread from long ago. Since last posting in this thread, I've also studied The Secret Life of Plants, which explores Baxter's theories (Chi mentioned previously).

Just wanted to share the passage from Fischer's Sailing Home here to see what any of you think of it and how it relates to the question of the shared breath between humans, animals, plants and whether the plant of a loved one who's passed on (and "graduated") can continue to share with me the breath it once shared with the beloved friend?

---
"There is only so much air on the planet, and we must share it with all other breathing beings. Now, and since the beginning of breathing, we have all been breathing the same air, taking it into our bodies, transforming it and being transformed by it, using it to move through time, moment by moment, to be what we are. This is intimacy: we take into our bodies the very air that others have breathed. Molecules of air that Buddha breathed, that Jesus breathed, that Plato, Hitler, Napoleon, Einstein, Shakespeare, the pope, the heavyweight champion of the world breathed; air breathed by men, women [my friend Anita], and children, by heroes and murders, by animals, plants [my friend Anita's plant], and insects, throughout time on Earth--some of these same molecules have been inside us." (p. 76).
---

What a beautiful pranayama meditation, no? "This is intimacy," Fischer opines. I submit, also, that it may be "love;" it may be "god."

Namaste from the Midwest,
Steph