View Single Post

Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I've commented on this before, but this is another good opportunity. SM's interview style often reminds me of my former law school professors--and I mean that in a good way! It's the Socratic method. (I think, perhaps, SM knew Plato or Aristotle or Socrates in the past?) Our law professors would zone in on one "lucky" individual to question the entire class period. Any answer from the student is followed by another, usually deeper question from the teacher. Even if the student is completely lost and no matter how many times you say, "I don't know," the teacher continues the Socratic.

The result of the exercise is that not only this one student learns something, but the entire class learns something about the content and/or process. Generally, it is meant to stimulate critical thinking.

That is how I often hear and digest SM's interviews, especially if an interviewee may be struggling to keep up. Who wouldn't, really? The end result is always a learning opportunity for all of us that stimulates both critical and creative thinking.

Namaste from the Midwest,
steph