View Single Post

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia16
Hi Stephanie,

(1) I'm onto the Barbara Clow audio - I'll let you know when I finish.

(2) What I like about it is the balance it gives - Guy Claxton, the author, studied under various Buddhist masters though I believe that he got a degree in, well, something - I didn't actually make note of that!

(3) I did get another one of his books out as an ebook - called Noises from the Darkroom - it's about evolution of the mind -
Starting from an evolutionary perspective, Guy Claxton shows how the mind has emerged from the brain, and how, along the way, some crucial misapprehensions have slipped into our unconscious models of ourselves. Through its masterly and engaging synthesis of different perspectives, Noises from the Darkroom offers a view of the totality of the human brain-mind that illuminates clearly both its blind alleys and its potentialities.

(4) Are you still interested in discussing Sitchin? I have put a hold on that again - should get it by the end of the month.

(5) I actually wanted to share a theory of evolution that I read about over the summer. When I say read I mean I was reading a book called 'The Body Electric' about electromagnetism and the foundation of life . . . a theory that says that maybe the first 'life' was actually in non-organic matter. . . .

(6) As for you being an Aries with Leo rising - lol -no worries. . . watch out . . .that's sort of contradictory! Scorch! Two fire signs - But what is your moon sign (emotional nature)?

(7) BTW in terms of yoga - do you see that as a spiritual or purely physical practise? My cousin teaches yoga and though I don't know her that well she was interviewed saying a lot of people use it purely for physical reasons but it's a spiritual practise at it's best - or something like that. I'm apparently no good at quoting things!

Freesia

Hello Freesia and All! First, Freesia, please forgive me numbering your observations in such a linear fashion. I do not mean to try to net your Pisces ways! (That reminds me of a Buddhist saying about being in the moment: "Real Buddha is a fish just netted leaping and jumping." I digress.) It just helps me respond (I'm a lawyer, too, and I can't let go of my lawyerin' ways sometimes) . . .

(1) I just got a book by David Ian Cowan (another interviewee of Shirley's) called Navigating the Collapse of Time, and the foreword is by Barbara Hand Clow. I recall SM's interview with David Cowan being great and remember thinking that this guy is stunningly bright! Can't wait to read the book.

(2) I love reading about Buddhism, its theory and practice. It makes the most sense to me--so far--as to how to (try) to live my daily life. So that makes the book even more intriguing to me.

(3) My yoga teacher--Tias Little--loves exploring the "two" brains and spends much time in his teacher trainings on such matters--the "reptilian" subtle mind and the over-thinking, analytical, left-brain. I wonder if Tias is familiar with Claxton? . . .

(4) Yes! And what a wonderful library and community you must live in that such authors are in such demand that you have to put holds on books that are now 30 years old! I think I'm the only one around here checking out such books!

(5) I love the idea of "life" coming from non-organic matter! From dust to dust, eh?

(6) Ha! Scorch, indeed! My moon sign is Sagittarius. What does that say? A firey flaming trifecta?! I'm sad to say that I've never actually had an astrological reading. Guess I'm in the right place for that here, though, eh? I'll have to get Sandra Helton to do a chart for me sometime soon?

(7) Ah yoga . . . for me, the cure to any trouble. I see it, primarily, as a spiritual practice. The physical--or asana--part is only one limb of the 8-fold yogic path. Training in the physical limbs of the yogic path lead to the deepening of the spiritual practice and ultimately a lovely journey to nirvana/samadhi.

Namaste from the Midwest,
steph