View Single Post

Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma Rae
Thomas,

You are right about English Departments (I haunted a couple or two in my academic career myself) and their lofty disdain for spirituality. I don't know if it is the academic who just cannot get out of the way of his or her own brain, but English departments are quite full of snobby atheists who will not even engage in a conversation about spirituality, which is so profoundly odd to me considering that literature and poetry are seemingly meant to bridge us to the subtleness of spirit, Love (whatever that means), and gods? Perhaps it is placing too much of a post-modern (or maybe even modernist) lens on the pursuit of academics even when studying periods like Medieval, Restoration, Renaissance, the Romantics (!!) that so beautifully yearn to explore the spiritual. And don't forget Americans like the Thoreau, Emerson, and Walt Whitman--hello?!

Namaste from the Midwest,
Steph

I don't get it either. Never have. They seem afraid to tackle such issues.

That isn't true of the evangelical colleges but they're another story. If you veer from their doctrinal notions they don't want you around. The Catholic universities seem similar. They'll all take advantage of you but as far as granting you tenure, or even a tenure track position, if this is your main concern, you are going to have a hard go of it.

Donne relies on the spiral notions, and so does George Herbert. I have an article on Herbert in fact, “God’s Geometry: Motion in the English Poetry of George Herbert,” George Herbert Journal, 9, No. 1 (1985), 17-26. About my article, Mark Taylor, author of the Herbert study The Soul in Paraphrase, writes, “it makes a substantial contribution to Herbert studies; it is learned, cogently argued, and well written.”

I was looking to see if I had a copy I could past to these boards but I don't think I do. I remember once scanning it for a friend, but I don't know where the scan is.