View Single Post

Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Hello Thomas, Good to see you here! I have to tell you that nobody has suggested that I read Milton since my undergraduate Renaissance professor almost 20 years ago now (and he was not very convincing to me at the time!).

I am interested in this dualistic imagery that you've touched upon--upward/downward; heaven/earth; inward/outward. The downward/outward/earthward seems to carry a negative connotation. Am I wrong? Something from which to "turn" away and to strive and struggle against? Why is that? Here is a line from Autobiography of a Yogi that I just read this morning, "Knowledge of 'good and evil' refers to the cosmic dualistic compulsion. Falling under the say of maya through misuses of his feeling and reason, or Eve--and Adam--consciousness, man relinquishes his right to enter the heavenly garden of divine self-sufficiency." I bet Milton may have a thing or two to say about that, eh?

I've always loved an image in a poem (don't ask me the name of it now) by Lucille Clifton in which she proclaims that we are "here on this bridge between star shine and clay," implying that we (humans) are the spiral that bridges and brings unity between both the yin and the yang (the heaven and the earth) and that there is, in fact, great wisdom and divinity in this mortal clay of Gaia Earth. The spiral within the human body is often reflected in Vedic traditions (kundalini rising through the chakras) and even Western medicine (the coiled serpent symbolizing medical science/art).

Much to think about on a Sunday morning before I've even read the New York Times! Thanks!

Namaste from the Midwest,
stephanie