View Single Post

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Default "the turning"

Aye, there's the rub, BE. Hamlet would, perchance, be impressed . . .

Anyone want to explore this image of "the turning" that Anderson brought up in her conversation with Brit? From the interview, "the turning" seems to be an image she explores in her book(s) as well, which I admittedly have not (yet) read.

Turning is an oft-used image in poetry, literature, etc. (I believe Yeats often incorporated the image of the spiral as a metaphor for our ever spiraling and evolving consciousness). You also find it in astrology, of course--the turning and circling of the heavenly spheres--and mathematics (each turn is a degree, what do the degrees mean and/or symbolize?). The whirling Sufi dervishes of Rumi's time swirl and turn with one hand pointed towards the heavens and one towards earth in their journey towards enlightenment. The kundalini rising and spiraling from the lower chakras up through the spine and out the crown is, of course, a classic image of this turning imagery as well.

This morning before meditation, I "turned" to a Carlos Castaneda quote that I had read the previous morning in which he uses this "turn":

"The thing to do when you're impatient, is turn to your left and ask advice from your death. An immense amount of pettiness is dropped if your death makes a gesture toward you, or if you catch a glimpse of it, or if you just have the feeling that your companion is there watching you."
Journey to Ixtlan, Carlos Castaneda

----
So what do you all think? What does this "turning" mean? It is energy? It at times seems conscious and deliberate and as if it sometimes takes great courage and effort to make "the turn." But once released, that turning seems to become effortless and transforms into that Divine spiral that the Sufis, that Yeats, that ballet and dance grasp and translate into some human form.

Another image of the turning (circles) from Rumi that touches on finding freedom and beauty upon courageously opening to Truth:

---
"Birds make great sky circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling
they are given wings."
---

Is "turning" freedom?

Namaste from the Midwest my Friends,
stephanie