View Single Post

Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Default The Autobiography of A Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda

Hello Friends!

Although Autobiography of a Yogi is often "required" reading for yoga teachers, my yoga teacher training with Tias Little at Prajna Yoga did not "require" (but does recommend) the book. I've picked it up several times in the past and something inside me said "too soon."

Now that I've got a few more years under my spiritual belt--as it were--by reading more Sitchin, Cayce, Castaneda, etc., and listing to more IE Radio interviews, I've picked the book up again and, this time, that higher voice inside me said "yes!" And I can see why. The book jumps right into metaphysical revelations like levitation, "miraculous" healings, remote viewing, magical amulets, swamis projecting their body to exist in two places at one time (however you define time and place), swamis with the ability to make themselves invisible to photography. I wasn't ready for all of that before, and I think many young yoga teacher trainees who are "forced" to read it may miss much of its depth . . . but maybe not. Everything usually happens just as it should, no?

Have any of you read this book? If so, what did you take away from it?

Here are a few passages I've underlined so far to which many here may relate:

• "It was an amazed photographer who discovered that the plate, which had clear images of all the disciples, revealed nothing more than a blank space in the center where he had reasonable expected to find the outlines of Lahiri Mahasaya."
I find this passage interesting because it was the intent of Lahiri Mahasaya to not be photographed. Because of that intent, he was invisible to others attempting to capture his image. When he changed his intent to allow someone to photograph him, he would appear in the image. I believe there is only one existing photograph of this saint.

Some of it reminds me of the story I believe I've heard SM relate in some of her interviews about how when she goes out with the intent to not be seen by the public/press, not a soul will recognize her, but when she changes her intent and goes out as "SM the star," people recognize her immediately.

Have any of you experienced this? Is this a manifestation of the law of attraction?

• " . . . 'spiritual skyscrapers' may occasionally be encountered by the wayside, even by worldly men . . ."
Aside from the lovely imagery of a "spiritual skyscraper," this also brings to mind the warning from the Dahlai Lama to beware of the beggar and the garbage collector for they are the wisest of souls. Something like that.

Namaste from the Big Easy (traveling for work),

Steph