View Single Post

Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Sitchin, astrology, coffee & poetry

Hello Sandra (and all)!

This weekend as I was reading Sitchin again on the patio, the sun struck my glass coffee mug at just the right angle to create a reflection of the mug's logo on the coffee. Looks like a fancy Teamster latte, eh?

Speaking of the sun . . . the planets . . . that brings us back to Sitchin . . . reading this book just reminds me of how very little I know and how very much I need to read and explore and learn and absorb. If only I could quit the job and read all day long every day (with a hike or two in between), then . . . perhaps . . . I would have a chance . . .

As I mentioned in prior posts, what I find least compelling about Sitchin's theories are his propensity to take art and writings at literally--as if they are not symbolic of anything other than what the text literally says or what the picture literally looks like (again, through a 20th/21st century lens). For example, I just read the sentence, "But why not take the epic at face value, as nothing more nor less than the statement of cosmologic facts." (p. 211 of my edition). I suppose the answer to my knee-jerk question of "why?!" is "why not?" Okay, that's valid, but my western-educational background of grad school and law just throw up all kinds of questions and skepticism. When I read historical documents, I tend to come from the assumption that it is highly symbolic and almost impossible to accurately interpret historically. But yes, I suppose I need to ask the questions "why not?" and "maybe it is a true historical document and not poetry or literature?" . . .

What I DO find most compelling about Sitchin's theories so far are (1) his linguistic explorations; and (2) his exploration of astrological knowledge and that the Sumerians knew more about astrology than their successors. Perhaps I find these theories--the latter in particular--most compelling due to my lack of knowledge on the topic. One of these theories is that the Sumerians actually knew that the planet was not flat and that it (along with other planets) orbited around the sun. They knew about each and every one of the plants in our solar system, the Earth's moon, etc. before later civilizations apparently forgot it and had to relearn it (why do we have to relearn things?! So frustrating!) So . . . if they were right about all of this, why wouldn't they be correct about this one other detail in their understanding of the solar system--the 12th planet. Sandra, perhaps you could shed some light on Sitchin's theories here--in particular (so far), Chapter 6 called "The Twelfth Planet"?

I have been reading a lot of poetry lately, and this morning was listening to Coleman Barks read his translations of the mystic Rumi. One poem stands out in my mind during this discussion of the planets, the sun, etc. I share it with you here:

-----
"Turn as the earth and the moon turn,
circling what they love.

Whatever circles come from the center."
----

Not only do we (and nature) circle what we love, but at the same time, we (who are doing the circling) are part of that center and that one big love.

Again . . . as Rumi wrote,

"I am so small
how can this great love be inside of me?"
----

But it is in me, you, and us all. . . .It always comes back to that, doesn't it?

I will stop my rambling now . . .
Namaste from the Midwest, Friends.

Stephanie
Attached Images