View Single Post

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Bookstore encounters

Hello all! So after work, I had a hankerin' for some new books, so headed to the bookstore. Now . . . I live in a suburb of Chicago that is NOT known for its free-thinking, let's just say. My partner and I (and our family) practically have a scarlet "L" on our door and--thus--are not popular with the neighbors, but that's another story. . . . But by the light of a weekday, I look like everyone else . . . okay, I am a lawyer . . . except that I am a woman, I probably look and sound and walk like a typical lawyer (quack-quack, right) and don't really stand out . . . not a typical looking person who may have the books I had in my arms today (although on the weekend . . . that is a different story . . .)

Okay, what I was talking about . . .I am at the bookstore today, my arms are loaded with a variety of books that I've been meaning to purchase due to recommendations from this website and listening to IE Radio and whatnot. Here's what I have:
  • Edgar Cayce, On Atlantis;
  • Edgar Cayce, Encyclopedia of Healing;
  • Zecharia Sitchen, The Twelfth Planet;
  • Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems;
  • Carlos Castaneda, The Teachings of don Juan (this is a gift for someone; I've read it);
  • Vegan Italiana Cookbook;
  • Vegetarian Times magazine; and,
  • some stationary to write a letter to my great aunt.
As I was just about to check out and grabbing the Vegetarian Times, I hear a voice behind me saying, "you must being buying for a lot of different people because that is quite a selection of books!" As I turned around, I found an older gentleman observing my armload of books. I looked at my books and--thinking that the selection makes perfect harmonious sense to me--said, "no, with the exception of Castaneda, which I've read, these are all for me!"

He then asked me, "How did Sitchin get in there?" I just told him that I've been hearing a lot about him and Cayce and needed to read them (finally). He looked at the Sitchin book and approved of starting with that one. I smiled broadly and said that I couldn't wait to read them!

And then he said, "I've just got one more question for you, what time is it? . . . And I don't mean the time on your wristwatch."

I paused and then said, "It is now."

He then mentioned Atlanta, Georgia becoming a coastline after a great earthquake and said I'd learn about that with Cayce and walked off into the suburbia sunset of florescent lights.

So . . . one of the morals of this story is that this older gentleman was probably surprised to see a mid-thirties woman in this area with an armful of such books, and I was shocked that anyone in this area but me was familiar with such authors (especially when they are located in a far corner of the bookstore near the restrooms--kind of like where the lesbian pulp fiction may have been located in the 50s/60s if at all!) . . .

Now . . . if this older gentleman is actually a member of this website and reading this, I will eat my hat. Okay, I don't have a hat in front of me right now, but nevertheless . . .

Thinking I am in for a treat with all of these new reads!!

Namaste from the Midwest,
Stephanie