View Single Post

Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Smile Trust the mystery: Baltho, the dog with three lives

Here is the beginning of the article about my ongoing adventures with my co-therapist Afghan Hound Baltho and his subsequent incarnations. It was written by freelance writer Geoff Ward, an Englishman living in southwestern Ireland. As soon as the article is placed I will provide a link to the entire thing. I don't want to scoop it here.

Trust the mystery: Baltho, the dog with three lives

The extraordinary world of Denver psychotherapist and coach Thomas Ramey Watson and his therapy dogs

Tom got a message to say the Afghan pup he was waiting for had been born, and that it was an unusual color. But it wasn’t the breeder who told him. It was Hattie, Tom’s Afghan who had died the previous year. Out walking, Tom heard Hattie’s “voice” distinctly. “I’m born,” she said.

And so it was – into the world came Melchior, the third incarnation, Tom is convinced, of his beloved Afghan Baltho, his first “therapy dog”. Hattie said the pup must be called Melchior after another of the Biblical Three Wise Men – Baltho was short for the Arabian Balthazar. These dogs certainly came bearing special gifts for Tom and others who came into contact with them.

The story begins in the 1990s, as recounted in Tom’s new fictionalized memoir, Baltho: The Dog Who Owned a Man, and will continue in two more books about the remarkable dogs, and at least one cat, that have helped Tom with his counseling and his life. Before the trilogy continues, however, comes a novel from Tom, Reading the Signs, a “paranormal love story,” due out in the fall, plus a couple of books of poetry to be published in the interim.

Tom, who lives in northwest Denver, said: “With Melchior, born last November, I’m now on my third incarnation of Baltho. Melchior is taking up Baltho’s psychological co-therapist role already. I figured that was the plan when Baltho’s subsequent incarnation, Hattie, told me where and when to find Melchior and that he wanted to be named for another of the Three Wise Men, this one from Persia.”

No stranger to paranormal experiences, Tom, born and raised in Sterling CO, says he has had more of them since childhood than he can remember, never questioning their validity because they were so much part of his life. In 1992, he was planning to adopt a labrador or golden retriever, but “an Afghan was telepathically calling me, begging me, to locate and rescue him”. Thus Tom arrived at the Denver Afghan Rescue where, at the gate, he had a premonition of a red brindle Afghan jumping up and hugging him.

Continued.............