Thread: The Camino
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Default "water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink"

Joanne (and all Friends) . . . ah Vegas and its opulent fountains (as I type these words, I can hear the triumphant Bellagio) . . . quite the opposite--I imagine--from the life-sustaining Camino fountains, which Shirley describes as follows:

---
" . . . I stopped at a drinking fountain--fountains, I would learn, would be waiting for me in every village. The pure, clean water of the village fountains in northern Spain made the Santiago Camino possible." (pp. 35-36)(emphasis added).
---
Here is one of my favorite observations: "We passed a bridge leading to Zubiri and then a fountain adjacent to an ancient church. We stopped and filled our water bottles with the clear fountain water. So clear, so delicious. I sat by the fountain and put my feet up, concluding that all I really needed in life were good shoes, a loyal stick, and pure water." (p. 53)(emphasis added).
---
And while this passage is not about man-made fountains, but mother nature-made, I thought the water imagery so lovely that it should be included in this preamble on water: "All stood as though in a water-soaked trance . . . knowing that all natural predators were in their own God-given moisturizing trance during the rain. It was nature's way of calling a truce for all potential disturbances. The animals seemed to understand an invisible harmony and had respect for each other's differences." (pp. 47-48)(emphasis added).
---

Oh, Joanne . . . I did not mean to digress on water and fountain imagery here. I do want to get back to your reference to the appearance of Shirley's mother and father, which is at the end of Chapter 11. Although . . . at the end of her encounter with her mother and father upon being lost, she finally arrives at the next refugio. The last sentence of that Chapter is . . . "I slept without dinner, only water, remembering my mother and father. I felt them smiling down on me." (p. 143)(emphasis added). Hmmmm? "Water," eh? Should we explore the water imagery here? We could start with the womb . . .

Pick a quotation someone. Where should we start:

1. Mother/father/water reference in Chapter 11;
2. Rain/trance/truce imagery on pages 47-48; or,
3. water/feet/basic fundamentals on page 53?

If I were still in English Lit. graduate school . . . I would seriously consider all of this a potential dissertation abstract. Thank you all for indulging my fantasy (for now!).

love and LOTS of lights from the Las Vegas strip,
steph

p.s. I have only read Out on a Limb and The Camino thus far. My introduction to Shirley's writings was the audio version of Saging While Aging on what was supposed to be a roadtrip from Chicago to Santa Fe for my yoga teacher training with Tias Little of Prajna Yoga (www.prajnayoga.net), but it ended up being a last minute flight from TN to Santa Fe due to a sudden and tragic loss in my life. The synchronicity was not lost on me, and I have been learning and growing ever since--at an exponential rate, I might add. But let's get back to that water . . .