Thread: Out on a Limb
View Single Post

Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Default Out on a Limb

I am about to make all of you jealous. Are you ready? I just had the wonderful experience of reading Out on a Limb for the first time! Do you all remember how that felt for you?

Believe it or not, it took me 38 years on this earth to find my way to and to read Out on a Limb. (Of course, once I started, I could not put it down.) I do have the distinct memory of seeing this book in hardcover on my mother's bookshelves when I was young, but then my mother went through a "religious" experience of some sort when I was about 14 and all such books--including Out on a Limb--disappeared from our house.

Fast forward 30 years or so, and I found my way back to the book. But Out on a Limb was not my introduction to Shirley MacLaine, rather--in a long line of synchronistic events that involved my best friend dying suddenly and my trip to Santa Fe for yoga teacher training (I had no idea at the time that Santa Fe was Ms. MacLaine's home)--the audio version of Saging While Aging.

So . . . Here I am having just read Out on a Limb for the first time. Would anyone like to discuss? I'll start with the first sentence or two that I underlined in the book:
----

" . . . tropical plants and flowers. They were cared for by a Japanese gardener who loved them like children and believed that Peter Tomkins was correct, that plants had emotions. I remembered how silly Gerry thought I was when I first mentioned the concept to him.
'Plants can feel?' he laughed. 'Well, I'm just glad they can't talk back.' I had wanted to pursue the conversation, but his sardonic laughter nipped it in the bud, so to speak.' . . . "

----

Well, everyone . . . let's not allow that conversation to wane any longer, eh? Anyone want to talk about the spiritual lives of plants? I have one crazy cactus that I'd love to discuss with you!

Namaste _/|\_
steph