View Single Post

Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Default Ya never know!!!!

Six days ago, Sean went back to the Orthopedic Surgeon who removed his hard cast and said his foot was looking great and that he could go back to the facility with just an ace bandage. Sean asked if he could have more protection than that as he has manuever his wheelchair through doors to get outside and his extended right foot needed protection for him to get through the door. So, the good doctor provided him with a boot cast and that seemed to be working well until today.

Dina, Sean's wonderful nurse that has been off for several days, asked how his foot is doing and that she needed to see it. So, she took the boot cast off and the ace bandage and wham! She and I stood there in shock! There on Sean's heel was a quarter size blister, a pressure sore next to it and on the other side of his heel was another pressure sore and then the very worst thing was on the bottom of his heel is this deep bruise which Dina said is a deep tissue trauma and it could be all the way to the bone. We looked at each other and then at Sean as she questioned him about when his foot was last checked. He said the other nurse checked it a couple of days ago and said that there was a spot on the bottom of his foot and that he needed to keep his foot elevated on a pillow at night which he has done.

I felt the hairs rise on Dina's neck as she shook her head in disbelief. She began to explain that the boot cast had caused all of this and should have been removed days ago. She proceeded to inform the wound nurse of the major problem and they both returned with another boot that was lined with lambs wool and held the heel where nothing was touching it. I thanked Dina for being such a good nurse and stated that the other nurse had not done what she was supposed to do in this situation. She said she had already taken care of it by talking to her boss, The Director of Nurses, and she took a deep breath and said, "If I didn't care, it wouldn't bother me, but I do, and I hate to see this happening to Sean after everything we have done to get his pressure sores healed."

Anyway, this is where we are folks. New pressure sores!. So, please join us in intending for Sean's highest good in this situation.

Love, Deb
Belief Becomes