View Single Post

Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Hi Deb

Am so glad that you shared this with us. I am not that knowledgeable about depression, but it does seem to have such an intricate involved range of emotions. And I would guess that more people than we are aware of are experiencing some form of it.

I do think that the biggest breakthrough for Sean in particular, is that he is now able to not only acknowledge it to himself (and, more importantly, verbally to you), but that when these dark thoughts surface, he consciously recognizes that they are not a path he wants to go down and is actively reaching out for help to bring him balance and peace. For so many years, he just bottled these thoughts up inside himself perhaps triggering that chemical imbalance you speak of.

The important thing now is that he is not only pro-active in seeking the medication needed to assist in healing the chemical imbalance, but is also requesting counseling for emotional balance. For depression is both emotional and physical, and both need to be addressed properly by those who are experienced in this area. We all need help from time to time in our lives, and there is no shame in that.

Your point is well taken, and wise, that it is just as important for us who know someone experiencing this, to open our hearts in compassion -- to listen and assist with getting the help they need. Your dad once told you a long time ago, "we are here to help each other". It's what Being Human is all about.

Iím very proud of Sean for the progress he is making in this regard, and rejoice in the actions he is taking. Kudos to you, Sean, and big Hug from me!

Love n Hugs to both...
Peg