View Single Post

Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit
Peg - to add a tad to your thoughts and the discussion that followed...
I have a perfect example of why we should ask when we need help instead of feeling like we are intruding...

I asked Mom to come up and stay a few days just in case I didn't feel like cooking etc. That one request perked her up and made her feel needed. She's thrilled to be coming up to 'take care' of us.

Patswife - I agree the dynamic of families has changed tremendously. We keep trying to get the Moms to move in but they are independent women and want to remain so as long as possible - plus they don't want to be a burden. (which we don't think they are but we'll never convince them)

AD - the love and care you have given your Mom through the years is so admirable. I know it hasn't been easy on so many levels but I think you are a wonderful example for many of us.

Hi Brit, I know exactly what you mean. I love this example you shared. It is so important that we all feel ‘needed’, that our ‘being here’ has purpose, and most especially to those in our immediate world. I remember when my mom was living with me, I felt guilty in the beginning because when I came home from work she would have dinner ready on the table, the house cleaned, the laundry done, etc. At her age, I didn’t want her to have to work doing things for me, I just wanted her to enjoy her life. Then it dawned on me that doing for me was her enjoyment! It gave her life meaning and kept her mind alert. And so I relaxed into it, and allowed myself to receive the gift she was blessing me with.

Love ya....Peg