Thread: The Camino
View Single Post

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM

So, a little update! The schedule is set in stone for my arrival. I fly to Biarritz on the 4th October from London Stansted. Having never been, I'd like to have been able to explore Biarritz a little but unfortunately it's not going to be possible. So, from Biarritz I get the bus to Bayonne and then a train to St Jean Pied de Port. From what I've read, alot of peregrinos choose to stay in a refugio on the first night but I've decided to treat myself and spend a few days in a hotel in St Jean. It's a case of a first time traveller so I wanted to spend a few days gathering my thoughts and exploring the town. I'll get my credential here which will need to be stamped throughout the journey and then I set off on Sunday 7th which seemed a good day to choose as I read that 7 is the most spiritual number and is associated with searching for esoteric meaning which is the goal of my trip.

Buying the bits and pieces I'd need for the Camino proved to be quite an experience. I'm not a camping, active type so a warehouse full of equipment was quite confusing but I managed to find a kind assistant who helped me choose everything. It's hard to know what to take and what to leave behind but everything in my rucksack at the moment seems pretty essential. I'm getting used to thanking friends for good luck charms to take with me but secretly weighing them just in case! I've started to document the journey already and I've found I've ended up writing pages and pages about my life at this point and why I want to walk the Camino, what my hopes are and how I want to find change which is proving to be quite cathartic. Next week my sister is driving me our nearest woodland to do some walking with the packed rucksack which I'm hoping will prepare me physically. Mind and spirit seem in good order but the body might need a little work!

The response to my walk has been interesting. Some people are all for it and think it's fascinating, others think I'm being selfish and a bit silly but on the whole, there's alot of good luck and best wishes coming my way. The fears are subsiding and I'm actually getting excited, waiting to take my first steps. It seems bizarre that in a little over 3 weeks, I'll be boarding a plane to take me to something so "out there" but I honestly can't wait. I just hope I've not forgotten anything crucial!!