Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Books! Books! Books! (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=288)
-   -   Out On A Leash (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214524)

Norma Rae 09-12-2013 06:31 PM

Out On A Leash

Friends,

I know I am new to the party here with all of these books and am having to play catch-up, but what a joy it has been so far, and I truly appreciate talking to each and every one of you about these discoveries.

After listening to an interview between Brit and SM when Out On A Leash was first released, I thought, well . . . I should read this book as it is right in line with the spirituality themes of Out On A Limb, The Camino, Saging While Aging. But then I thought, perhaps I should listen to this one as an audiobook as I drive to/from work to get the full effect of the conversations between SM/Terry. So, downloaded the audiobook onto the ol' iPhone today and started listening on the way home this evening.

Friends . . . I kid you not . . . as I was pulling into my home driveway, SM read the part about Terry being on the movie set and being big pals with the Teamsters who work on the movies and how "Terry is a Teamster dog."

Whoa. *cut to: me almost driving my car through the garage door*

As some of you may know by now, I am a union-side labor attorney. Okay--revealing a bit about myself/identity (with a small "i"), but I trust this group--I exclusively represent the Teamsters. Not only the Teamsters, but the Teamster Local (in a certain large midwestern city) that has as one of its bargaining units the guys who work on movies here. (We represent a very wide variety of industries, but the movies here in this city have our guys working 'em).

And the words "Terry is a Teamster dog" were uttered as I pulled into my driveway. Coincidence? Probably not. Probably just the universe smiling on me and continuing to approve of me following my bliss into this marvelous world of the heart and spirit.

So . . . SM . . . if you are ever filming in Chicago, which I doubt because all we seem to film here are large-action-big-explosion-summer-blockbuster type movies (think Transformers, Superman, and Batman), we will make Terry (and you?) an honorary Teamster! Hey, it ain't the Kennedy Center Honors, but it's from the heart.

Solidarity and love from the Midwest,
stephanie

patswife 09-13-2013 05:21 PM

Hi Steph,
Loved reading your story--very synchronistic! It's funny how these things can strike like a thunderbolt.
By the way, I am back from vacation and am sorry to say, did not see a crop circle. I had one day of driving in that area and I sure did keep my eyes peeled, but no luck. I wonder how anyone knows where they are and how to get to them. I was even searching while flying over the country on the flight home! I would truly love to see one. Maybe next time.
Love,
Joanne

Norma Rae 09-18-2013 06:07 AM

Hello All, and welcome back Joanne!

Too bad you did not spot any crop circles; yes, an aerial view is probably most helpful unless you are able to intuit the locations, which few of us probably remember how to do anymore. Not that we couldn't relearn!

Aside from the Teamster passage being one of my favorite passages from Out on a Leash, I simply love the following passage because of its deep yet simple meaning and truth (not to mention its darn cute imagery as well!):

"Terry: I like standing here with a stick in my mouth. Not knowing why I picked it up or what I'm going to do with it. I like just standing here. If I sense a craft over head, it doesn't bother me. I know what it is. I've seen lots of them. I'm perfectly happy with this stick in my mouth doing nothing. In another minute, I may start to chew on it, but if I do the stick will be perfectly fine with my need to chew on it. It isn't afraid of me. I know it isn't afraid of me because I can feel its energy, and its energy doesn't know anything about fear. Everything and everyone is energy so why should anything be afraid? We should just be attentive."

----
So . . . there is a lot to unpack here, don't you think, even if--at the same time--it is so simple?

Anyone care to discuss? I will start.

First, the image of Terry just standing there perfectly content with a stick in her mouth and--I am confident in this assumption--smiling reminds me of the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh. Yes, Thich Nhat Hanh--in particular, his book Peace is Every Step. Much of that book contemplates the urgent need for people to return to the simple--yet revolutionary act--of sitting in peace. Just sitting. And smiling. It completely changes the energy and probably puts others--including sticks--at peace, too. I think that is what Terry was doing and what she was trying to teach standing there with the stick in her mouth.

What do you think?!

Namaste from the Midwest,
Stephanie

Norma Rae 09-18-2013 06:11 AM

P.s.

This is a total aside, and I do not want to detract from any discussion we might have about Terry standing there with the stick in her mouth, but it just struck me this morning that I wonder if SM ever read Virginia Woolf's book Flush before or while writing Out on a Leash. Woolf--who often wrote in stream of consciousness form and wildly shifted speakers/perspectives in her writing--wrote this book from the perspective of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's cocker spaniel Flush. Oh! It has been ages--graduate school--since I read that book! I will have to dig it out and give it a read again after reading Out on a Leash and compare the two.

These are the times when I long for those graduate school days of getting up in the morning, shuffling about the hardwood floors with a cup of coffee and sitting down to read, contemplate, and write on such musings!

Namaste to you all from the Midwest,
Stephanie