Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Cooking in the Lite (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Cooking Seasonally--Recipe Swap! (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214452)

Norma Rae 07-29-2013 09:11 AM

Cooking Seasonally--Recipe Swap!

Hello All!

I believe I've shared in the past that I belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) and get a weekly fresh box of locally farmed veggies/fruits from local Farmer Vicki of Genesis Growers here in Illinois.

I am really interested in seasonal local cooking. Any of you also local chefs? Let's exchange recipes! (Can you tell I am "working" at home today?)

Here in the Chicago area, blueberries are still in season, and we've been getting pints of them in our farm box each week. Had to make something other than throwing them in salads (which is scrumptious), so dug out my cooking seasonally and locally in the Midwest cookbook and found the following recipe for blueberry muffins. And . . . they were a hit at my house--even my 16 year old step-daughter who cannot show enthusiasm about anything at this stage in her life couldn't help but eat them with zeal!
---
Blueberry Sage Muffins (from Madison Herb Society Cookbook)
* Note: Bake for someone you love when you are in a good mood--best ingredient! *

-Ingredients-
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves (I used fresh pineapple sage from my garden)
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. each baking soda and salt
Topping: sugar and ground cinnamon

- Method-
Combine blueberries, sage, sugar, and lemon zest; let stand for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin cups with paper liners. Stir egg, yogurt, milk, oil, and lemon juice into blueberries. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into large bowl. Stir the 2 mixtures together until barely combined. Fill each muffin to 1/2 inch from the top. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle onto muffins.
Bake until muffin springs back when touched on top, 20-25 minutes. Remove from muffin tins and cool on wire rack. Makes 12 muffins.

---

Enjoy in love and light . . . your sweet tooth will thank you!

steph

admin 08-01-2013 09:14 PM

Thank you. I gave it a try except I substituted stevia for sugar and almond flour for the flour and almond milk for the milk & olive oil for the canola.... I had a tough time replacing the yogurt so I followed your lead and went with Greek.I might try substituting applesauce for the yogurt next time???

Who knew sage would accent the blueberries so well!

This is easy and something everyone should try - either your original or my avoid sugar, wheat, milk and canola oil LOL
Delicious! Thank you!
BE

admin 08-01-2013 09:15 PM

PS I was working on database things and didn't change the login - it's me... Brit

RobKendall 08-02-2013 07:49 AM

It's nice, Brit, that the identity of your 'secret' doppelgänger has finally been revealed!

Norma Rae 08-02-2013 10:10 AM

Fantastic substitutions, Brit. I've never worked much with almond flour, but sounds really good and much better than the processed nightmare of the wheat industry (even if using non-GMO flour), and eliminating wheat is generally a good thing, probably. Can I ask why the substitution on canola oil? Is it the GMO factor? I do have non-GMO canola oil that I buy/use. Would you recommend not using it at all?

Question on stevia: what kind do you use? I actually grew stevia in my garden last year, dried it, and ground it in a spice grinder. It is as good as anything you buy, but BRIGHT green! I love it! It makes me wonder, however, why the stuff in the grocery stores is white--at least the stevia I've seen in stores.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe overall. Yes, who knew sage would be a perfect complement to blueberries in a muffin, but when I saw the recipe, my heart said "YES!" and it was right!

Following my bliss in the Midwest,
steph

Brit 08-02-2013 06:33 PM

Hi Norma Rae
Canola is mostly GMO so I have avoided it for years. They estimate 90% is GM. My naturopath suggested we just avoid it completely.

Here's a page on it: http://www.nongmoproject.org/2012/0...t-of-your-home/

I bet coconut oil would be delicious in this muffin recipe. Will have to try that :)

re: Stevia
The sweetness can be naturally extracted from the stevia leaf - they're usually run through a water process and the sweet extract is then dried and powdered.

I prefer buying the stevia leaf powder - although a green tint does come through in a gluten/sugar free white cake LOL. You do have to be careful where purchase powdered stevia leaf as some less reputable sources cut it with wheat grass.

BE

Norma Rae 08-02-2013 07:00 PM

This is great information, Brit. Thank you so much for sharing. I really appreciate it! Learning every day and will incorporate this knowledge into my daily life and cooking.

two hands together from the Midwest _/|\_
steph

Norma Rae 08-08-2013 06:04 PM

Do you have zucchini nightmares?

What will you do with all of that seasonal summer zucchini growing in your garden? Is it growing out of your . . . ears? . . . Are you having nightmares? . . . Seriously . . . you cannot make THAT much zucchini bread! Stop the insanity! . . . Try this delicious VEGAN pasta dish from Vegan Italiano that I made this evening and cannot stop eating even as I type this (I am a very talented mutli-tasker!):

Farfalle with Zucchini, Mint & Almonds

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium zucchini (about 6 ozs each) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint or basil (i used a combo from garden)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup blanched almonds (i used pine nuts)
  • 2 large cloves of garlic peeled (okay, i used 3)
  • 1 tsp coarse salt ground pepper (i used a fresh Thai chili)
  • 1 lb farfalle cooked al dente and drained (get the organic, gluten free kind!)
**I added the kernels of a recently grilled corn cob leftover in fridge and diced up two garden Roma tomatoes as well

Method:
Place the zucchini in a medium saucepan with salted water to cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
Place the mint/basil, oil, almonds (or pine nuts), garlic, salt, and pepper (or Thai chili) in a food processor fitted with the knife blade; process until smooth. Add about 3/4 of the drained zucchini and process until pureed but still slightly chunky.

Place the hot cooked pasta in a large bowl and add the zucchini puree and remaining zucchini (this is where I also tossed in the corn and tomatoes, which creates more of a primavera feel); toss well to thoroughly combine.

Serve warm or at room temp. Makes 5-6 main dishes or 8 pasta-course servings.
-----

Enjoy and Namaste from the Midwest,
stephanie