Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   NOTICE (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   Nominate Shirley for Kennedy Center Honors (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214415)

ShelleyD 07-10-2013 12:35 AM

Nominate Shirley for Kennedy Center Honors

http://www.kennedy-center.org/progr...honors/?confirm

Their official website is now taking nominations!!! Click on the Link, scroll down a little and the form is on the right side of the page. You will also receive an email conformation of your submission.
It takes less than 5 minutes....do this ASAP because they make their selections before Labor Day and announce the beginning of September!!!!! Let the Kennedy Center know how you/we feel!!! :D

RobKendall 07-10-2013 06:53 AM

Thank you, Shelley!

1 Attachment(s)
I listed, for the question, "Why did you suggest this person?":

Ms. MacLaine is a true revolutionary who has communicated a deeply humanistic sense of truth about our destiny as human beings through her work in film, television, the stage, and memoir.

RobKendall 07-10-2013 06:57 AM

On a side note - Vanity Fair's Proust Questionnaire

1 Attachment(s)
I missed this when I was living in Germany (November 2007) and wanted to post this to help inspire people to follow Shelley's advice and nominate Shirley for the Kennedy Center Honors.

PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE

Shirley MacLaine

At 21, Shirley MacLaine possessed enough poise and moxie to land a starring role in Alfred Hitchcock's The Trouble with Harry. The Oscar winner has worked with Billy Wilder, shared the screen with Jack Nicholson, and found a second calling as an author. With the publication of Sage-ing While Age-ing, the actress and writer reflects on enlightenment, her dog, and New Mexico.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Searching for it.

What is your greatest fear?
The violence of enlightenment.

Which living person do you most admire?
The people who work with and for me.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My impatience, which can cause me to be really caustic and rude.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Same. We detest in others what we detest in ourselves.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Monogamy.

On what occasion do you lie?
When I eat sugar and say it doesn't matter.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
My bloated stomach after eating sugar.

What is your greatest regret?
Not spending more time with my daughter when I was working.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My dog Terry. All of nature.

Which talent would you most like to have?
Being patient with people who have no work ethic. Maybe they have something to teach me.

What is your current state of mind?
Content, but discontent with the leadership worldwide.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Being able to do nothing.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
The way I think.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
A zillionaire who gives away all his money. Yes, I would like to come back as a rich man who would live without corruption, respect nature, women, and small, insignificant things.

What is your most treasured possession?
Two necklaces from my Santiago de Compostela Camino. All of my animals.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Prison.

Where would you like to live?
Wherever I am with Terry, but not in a confined space. New Mexico is fine for me.

What is your most marked characteristic?
My humorous cynicism.

Who are your favorite writers?
Those who tell the truth about themselves.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
I don't read fiction. My life is fiction.

Who are your heroes in real life?
Those who are optimistic through pain. I am a physical pussy unless I'm dancing or working out.

What is it that you most dislike?
People who don't care about themselves.

What is your motto?
"I am part of God in Light."

Robin33 07-10-2013 08:04 AM

Nominated Shirley MacLaine

That was very simple to do yesterday. When it asked why on the nomination did you choose this person.
I listed just a few of Shirley's accomplishments and then added all the things she's done for people around the world. That AFI awarded Shirley for her hard work and dedication and that Kennedy Center Honors needs to honor her this year.....

I ended with. Why wouldn't we nominate and honor Shirley MacLaine. It's Long overdue.

ShelleyD 07-11-2013 03:34 PM

You are welcome Rob! I actually thought of you specifically when I posted this because I don't believe you have Facebook. I posted it everywhere on Facebook.
Such a great questionnaire you posted as well. Shirley never ceases to impress me.

Good Robin! I wrote something similar and mentioned the AFI last year as well.

Wolfdog 08-04-2013 07:00 AM

For Rob K

Thank you for posting the article with Shirley's interview responses.

Just wish I had read it prior to nominating her for this honor. Hope my response did her justice! She really does deserve this one.

In gratitude,
Wolfdog

StevenOz 08-13-2013 04:28 AM

Go Shirley!

Not sure if this has arrived or not, but if not:

Go Shirley! :)

Actually, I'll say:

Go Shirley! :)

anyway. This is a great little corner of the internet. ;)

Brit 09-12-2013 08:50 AM

(WASHINGTON, D.C.)—The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts today announced the selection of the five individuals who will receive the 2013 Kennedy Center Honors. Recipients to be honored at the 36th annual national celebration of the arts are: opera singer Martina Arroyo; pianist, keyboardist, bandleader and composer Herbie Hancock; pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel; actress Shirley MacLaine; and musician and songwriter Carlos Santana.

“The Kennedy Center celebrates five extraordinary individuals who have spent their lives elevating the cultural vibrancy of our nation and the world,” said Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein. “Martina Arroyo has dazzled the world with her glorious soprano voice and continues to share her artistry with a new generation of opera singers; Herbie Hancock has established himself as one of the most innovative musicians in the world, constantly breaking musical barriers and redefining the art of jazz; Billy Joel’s melodies have provided the soundtrack of our lives for over four decades making him one pop music’s most prolific and memorable singers and songwriters; the remarkable breadth and range of Shirley MacLaine’s acting has left an indelible impression over a nearly 60-year career on stage and screen; from his legendary performance at Woodstock to his sweep at the 2000 Grammys and beyond, Carlos Santana’s artistry transcends genres while entertaining millions.”

The annual Honors Gala has become the highlight of the Washington cultural year, and its broadcast on CBS is a high point of the television season. On Sunday, December 8, in a star-studded celebration on the Kennedy Center Opera House stage, produced by George Stevens, Jr. and Michael Stevens, the 2013 Honorees will be saluted by great performers from New York, Hollywood, and the arts capitals of the world. Seated with the President of the United States and Mrs. Obama, the Honorees will accept the thanks of their peers through performances and tributes.

The President and Mrs. Obama will receive the Honorees and members of the Artists Committee who nominate them, along with the Kennedy Center Board of Trustees at the White House prior to the gala performance. The 2013 Kennedy Center Honors Gala concludes with a supper dance in the Grand Foyer.

The Kennedy Center Honors medallions will be presented on Saturday, December 7, the night before the gala, at a State Department dinner hosted by Secretary of State John Kerry.

The Honors Gala will be recorded for broadcast on the CBS Network for the 36th consecutive year as a two-hour primetime special on Sunday, December 29 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT).

Robin33 09-12-2013 02:30 PM

Yes about time

So happy for Shirley. I know all of us worked hard sending letters and phone calls to nominate Shirley. How amazing and how remarkable this must be for Shirley and for all of her friends and fans. An honor that she truly deserves. Congratulations Shirley. 🎉🎊❤

patswife 09-12-2013 04:35 PM

YES!! We did it!! Congratulations, Shirley. It's well deserved!!
Much love,
Joanne

ShelleyD 09-12-2013 05:13 PM

And you know what made it different this time is that they put a ballot on their website for the first time....really weighing in public opinion!

Very exciting! Can't wait to see this aired in December! xoxo

RobKendall 09-13-2013 04:13 AM

Deepest heartfelt congratulations, Shirley!

1 Attachment(s)
It still hasn't quite sunk in yet. This is a bit like being a kid and wanting something really badly, writing it at the top of your wishlist to Santa and - miracle of miracles - getting it first thing on Christmas morning.

RobKendall 09-13-2013 08:38 AM

The New York Times

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/a...l?ref=arts&_r=0

WASHINGTON — When Herbie Hancock learned he was one of the five artists to be honored this year by t
he John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the surprise, he said, brought him to the verge of tears. “And that doesn’t happen to me very often.” “To think that they would put me on the list with people I have loved and respected for so many years, it’s shocking,” said Mr. Hancock, a 73-year-old master jazz pianist who has won 14 Grammys and an Oscar. “It was like a dream, hard to believe and humbling.”

The musicians Billy Joel and Carlos Santana, the actress Shirley MacLaine and the soprano Martina Arroyo will also receive the 36th honors medal in December, the Kennedy Center announced Thursday.

The annual award is presented for lifetime contributions to American culture in dance, music, theater, opera, Film or television. David M. Rubenstein, the Kennedy Center chairman, said the honorees “have spent their lives elevating the cultural vibrancy of our nation and the world.”

This class of recipients is the first since the Kennedy Center revamped its selection process this year, in response to criticism that the process lacked transparency and had yielded only two Latino winners.

The medals will be presented at a dinner at the State Department on Dec. 7, followed the next day by a reception at the White House and tribute performances at the Kennedy Center. The performances will be taped and broadcast on Dec. 29 on CBS.

“It’s better than Fourth of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving and Valentine’s,” said Mr. Santana, 66, who is receiving the award 50 years after he arrived in San Francisco from Tijuana, Mexico.

He made a name for himself in the Bay Area at a time, he said, when it was “ground zero for the consciousness revolution.” But he shot to fame after his band performed at the Woodstock concert in 1969. Since then, he has racked up 10 Grammys and sold more than 100 million records with music that blends Afro-Cuban styles with blues, jazz and rock.

Ms. MacLaine, 79, has won an Oscar, several Golden Globes and a lifetime achievement award from the American Film Institute for a career full of notable performances in films like “The Apartment” in 1960 and “Terms of Endearment” in 1983. But the Kennedy Center medal, she said, is special recognition.

“The others are for a part you did or for how you interpreted a character, but this is about how you’ve interpreted yourself,” she said.

Mr. Joel’s lyricism and piano skills earned him the nickname “Piano Man” — the title of his signature song — as he churned out decades of hits like the singles “Allentown” and “Only the Good Die Young.” Mr. Joel, 64, said in a statement that he was honored to be among an “illustrious roster of outstanding musicians.”

Mr. Hancock pushed jazz into the electronic age and fused it with funk, hip-hop and pop.

Ms. Arroyo, 76, pursued opera against her mother’s urgings to find a more practical skill. She became a star in 1965 after she replaced Birgit Nilsson in a production of “Aida” and has performed around the world.

Before Ms. Arroyo and Mr. Santana, the actress Chita Rivera and the opera star Plácido Domingo were the only Latinos among 185 artists who had received the award since it was created in 1978 with a single criterion: excellence.

After an internal review, the Kennedy Center expanded its artists’ committee, which picks the nominees, and began accepting recommendations from the public. It also created a committee that includes two previous winners, Ms. Rivera and the cellist Yo-Yo Ma, to narrow the list of nominees for the Kennedy Center board, which makes the final decisions.

By ASHLEY SOUTHALL

RobKendall 09-13-2013 01:37 PM

The Associated Press

1 Attachment(s)
Shirley MacLaine to be feted at Kennedy Center Honors, along with Billy Joel, Carlos Santana, others

The Associated Press
on September 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM, updated September 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

WASHINGTON -- Acclaimed actress Shirley MacLaine and four musicians spanning rock, jazz and opera -- Billy Joel, Carlos Santana, Herbie Hancock and Martina Arroyo -- will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, considered the nation's highest honor for those who influence American culture through the arts.

The honorees were announced Thursday. In December, President Barack Obama will host the recipients at the White House, and Secretary of State John Kerry will host a dinner for them at the State Department. Top entertainers will salute the honorees in a gala performance Dec. 8 to be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.

In an interview, Santana said he was very grateful and happy to be in the company of luminaries and to receive an award he remembers watching almost every year with his family. The 66-year-old musician who was born in a small, remote town in Mexico and immigrated with his family to San Francisco said he set out to bridge cultures and music styles.

"I guess people understand that Santana is not just a Mexican guitar player -- I bring a collective-consciousness awareness agenda with me," he said. "I grew up with the generation of Woodstock and Bob Marley, 'One Love,' and 'Imagine,' John Lennon. I am one of them, and we don't do what we do to be commercial or to be popular or to be cute. It's not entertainment or show business for us. For us, it's a calling."

As a Mexican immigrant, Santana is unique among those who have received the cultural prize. Last year, the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts complained the Kennedy Center had long excluded Latinos. Of the more than 180 past honorees, only two have been Hispanic, the group said.

The criticism led to a revised selection process this year, including the solicitation of nominations from the public, and a new committee of artists and officials helped narrow the potential honorees.

Santana, who swept the 2000 Grammy Awards in nine categories with his album "Supernatural," said more mainstream institutions should be recognizing Latino artists.

"Piano Man" Billy Joel, one of the best-selling recording artists of all time, said he was honored to be named a Kennedy Center honoree. Joel, the pianist, singer and songwriter behind numerous unforgettable hits, including "Uptown Girl," ''Allentown" and "We Didn't Start the Fire," has devoted his life to music.

In a written statement, he said he was honored to join the roster of outstanding musicians who came before. "But to be chosen for this special award essentially for doing what I love most amazes me more than anything," he said.

For MacLaine, the honors almost feel like a homecoming, she said. The 79-year-old actress grew up in nearby Arlington, Va., and attended ballet lessons almost every day from the time she was 10 in nearby Georgetown. She said she has played her cello at the Kennedy Center in the past. The cultural prize, though, stands apart from other awards, she said.

"It's a more global kind of recognition ... not just Hollywood or New York," she told The Associated Press. "The people who get these awards are contributing to the world's art, and I feel privileged to be one of them."

After nearly 60 years as one of Hollywood's leading actresses, MacLaine hasn't stopped. She began this year with a role in the popular "Downton Abbey" on PBS and will close the year with her latest film, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," alongside Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig. Last year, she was in New Orleans to shoot the independent romantic comedy "Fred & Elsa" with Christopher Plummer.

Hancock, born in Chicago, became a classical music prodigy after his parents bought him a piano as a boy, and he played with the Chicago Symphony by the age of 11. In high school, he discovered jazz, however, and began learning by listening.

"The more I looked into it, the more it pulled me like a magnet," he said. "And I was hooked forever."

In 1963, Hancock joined the Miles Davis Quintet, one of the great jazz ensembles. He has gone on to embrace electronic music and to collaborate with the likes of Annie Lennox, John Mayer, Christina Aguilera and others.

Hancock, 73, said he is overwhelmed to join the ranks of Kennedy Center honorees, "to be on that list of people whose work I've respected for so many years during my lifetime."

Arroyo, born and raised in Harlem as the daughter of a Puerto Rican father and an African-American mother, said her voice was discovered by accident in high school when she was heard imitating the singers outside an opera workshop. She went on to star in the great opera houses in Paris, London, Vienna and beyond.

Arroyo made her debut at Carnegie Hall in 1958 and had her breakthrough with the Metropolitan Opera when she was called at the last minute to replace Birgit Nilsson in "Aida" in 1965. She went on to perform 199 times at the Metropolitan Opera, performing all the major Verdi roles, as well as roles from Mozart, Puccini and others.

Still, Arroyo, 76, said she is most proud of her work teaching young students about character study in opera.

Receiving the Kennedy Center Honors, she said, was unimaginable.

"We go around the world singing, and people say oh, there's an American singer. But this is your government saying, yeah, we like you, too," she said. "There's no higher group for me than my country. That makes it extremely special."

Note: Brett Zongker of The Associated Press wrote this story.

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ss...receive_ke.html

P.S. and the full caption to the attached photo reads:
"
Shirley MacLaine, whose film career includes going almost"Around the World in 80 Days" at the Uptown, paid a visit yesterday to her old dancing school, the Washington School of the Ballet, where she laid the cornerstone of the new studio for the Washington Ballet Guild. Here's Shirley, daughter of Arlington realtor Ira O. Beaty, enjoying a foot trick by Mimi Paul, now a pupil of her onetime mentors, Lisa Gardiner and Mary Day, at the Wisconsin Ave. school."