Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Encounterboard Family (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   What constitutes a "Cherry Head?" (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214312)

sisterlura 05-06-2013 07:06 AM

What constitutes a "Cherry Head?"

Thanks for the healing light, my friends! Cushings little toad-dude asked an interesting question on the Wellness thread .... WHAT IS A CHERRY HEAD???

I'm really curious now! I'm sure we've all been drawn to Shirley's circle and the EB over time for a variety of reasons ~~ what, may I ask, are some of your's??

For me, I believe that a true-blue Cherry Head is a spiritual seeker of Truth, and that in order to pursue that calling, one has to possess a certain degree of integrity and curiosity and open-mindedness and perserverence to "feel" the Truth as opposed to blindly accepting all the stuff that we're spoon-fed through-out our years.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Love, as ever,
Lura :)

patswife 05-06-2013 05:04 PM

Lura,
I agree with your definition of "cherry head". But I must add that, in my opinion, a "cherry head" is one who has come by some kind of spiritual understanding through reading Shirley's books or from seeing her interviewed about her beliefs. Otherwise , you are just someone on the road to enlightenment. Not necessarily a "cherry head." Shirley has to fit in to the equation somewhere:)
Love,
Joanne

sisterlura 05-07-2013 06:47 AM

Ahhh, yes! Good point, Joanne! I guess I just rather assumed that respect for Shirley's wisdom and an appreciation to her points of view were just an integral part of the equation -- but you're so right: we are all connected here via Shirley, who is the true hub of it all.

Thanks for the reminder!

Much love,
Lura

Norma Rae 05-13-2013 06:57 AM

Cherries on the Camino

Friends . . . I just finished The Camino (wow! we'll have to have a "book club" thread on that book), but--if you will recall--there was an amusing and interesting interlude with cherries that Shirley had during her journey. See below:

---
"In Cacabelos I stopped at a small store. The owner came out, offered me some wine and food. I took a few cherries. He then offered to send on whatever I felt was too heavy. I gave him some clothes and my precious packages of film. . . . I never received the clothes or the film. But what film could possibly do justice to what I was seeing in my visions anyway? . . . Half an hour later, I had diarrhea from the cherries. . . ." (p. 220)(emphasis added).
---

First, the unfortunate digestive event and the subsequent event with an individual asking for Shirley's autograph in the middle of it all is a comical interlude in this amazing journey (although, certainly not comical at the time, I am sure). But as I type this, I see a deeper symbolism with the cherries. The cherries seemed to act as a purging catalyst for Shirley--not just physically. Upon ingesting the wine and cherries (accepting an offering of sustenance similar to the Biblical offerings of bread and wine at communion?), she purges herself of one of her most precious attachments--her film. The purge of the attachment was permanent as she never received the film as promised. And the physical purge of the cherries later seems to capture the pain of our attachments. And relief comes only when we let go of those attachments? What do you think of this interpretation?!

Now . . . how do we continue this association with cherries to this website and to being a "cherry head"?

Namaste from . . . the deserts of Las Vegas . . .
stephanie

sisterlura 05-13-2013 07:17 AM

wow!

Oh, I absolutely LOVE this symbolic interpretation, Norma Rae! Thanks so much for sharing ~~ definitely something to ponder.

Namaste from .... the lush gardens of New Jersey...

Lura :)

patswife 05-13-2013 05:11 PM

Steph, I am so impressed with your insight! I would never have thought of all those connections, but the way you presented it, they really make sense. Please continue to find passages in Shirley's books and we can continue to look for insights! It is kind of fun! Thanks.
Joanne

Norma Rae 05-13-2013 05:27 PM

Thank you Joanne and Lura! I am learning so much and having so much fun here that I might just float right up to the ceiling!

Two hands together . . .

_/|\_
steph

Jade 06-30-2013 12:15 PM

Cherry heads? Oh, this is making me smile.

My name is Jade and I was quite a regular on this site years ago. If I remember, the term just evolved after some lighthearted exchanges on the board. Shirley had mentioned that cherries were one of her favorite fruits. Plus, she had a favorite saying about "life is just a bowl of cherries, nevermind about the pits". I remember something in the discussion about Jimmy Buffett fans calling themselves Parrotheads and someone mentioned that we could be "Cherryheads" and Shirley would then logically be the "Headcherry".

Makes me smile to see that the term stuck! Will always love my Cherryheads

Jade

Brit 07-01-2013 07:34 PM

And I do believe I still have a tee-shirt around here with my title:
Pit Boss
:)

debabbott 07-01-2013 08:07 PM

Love being a "Cherryhead"!!!

renaissance 07-02-2013 12:55 PM

Aaaaw Deb,Brit and Jade! You are the ePITome of gracious humour ;) When I first read about you guys tossing the term Cherryhead around way back when,I thought you were talking about redheads aka Shirley! You have definitely created a term that will stick forever thanx to your creative imaginations and wit. Long live the Cherryheads!! (I'm silver haired myself ;)

Jade 07-05-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit
And I do believe I still have a tee-shirt around here with my title:
Pit Boss
:)

Pit Boss...oh yes. I had forgotten about that. For me, you will always be the yummy cherry on top...surrounded by a bunch of nuts. yummy cosmic sundae

Jade 07-05-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance
Aaaaw Deb,Brit and Jade! You are the ePITome of gracious humour ;) When I first read about you guys tossing the term Cherryhead around way back when,I thought you were talking about redheads aka Shirley! You have definitely created a term that will stick forever thanx to your creative imaginations and wit. Long live the Cherryheads!! (I'm silver haired myself ;)

e PIT ome? Cute :p