Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Health and Stress Reduction (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Essential Oil Advice? (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214213)

Norma Rae 03-02-2013 09:07 PM

Essential Oil Advice?

Good evening, Bowls of Cherries!

Reading the most recent newsletter from Shirley, it encouraged me to add a few new essential oils to my rotation. She recommended peppermint, sweet orange, ylang ylang to name a few. Admittedly, I regularly use peppermint for a morning essential oil. But today at the local whole foods, I added some sweet orange and ylang ylang. Once home, I whipped up a few batches of conditioning oils (I mix essential oils with sesame oil for an alternative body lotion) and came up with the following: (1) morning essential oil of peppermint and sweet orange; (2) evening essential oil of lavender (for sleep) and a few drops of eucalyptus (to ease sore muscles); (3) the Shirley equinox mix of peppermint, sweet orange, and ylang ylang; and (4) a standard of mine--good ol' nag champa. I couldn't wait to try it out, the "Shirley mix" was, indeed, divine--invigorating yet relaxing enough to use for the evening.

I am curious to know about any "recipes" you all have for essential oil mixes. Also, if any of you have any recommended reading material on this subject, please share! My curiosity is already piqued!

Namaste from the Midwest....
steph

Brit 03-03-2013 03:05 PM

Hi Norma Rea
My fave for meditation is 5 drops rose oil with 1 drop ylang ylang in a hot pot. Seems to open wonderful realms for me.

Will look around and see what books I have on essential oils and post later :)
BE

Norma Rae 03-03-2013 04:12 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Brit. I look forward to learning more. Many yoga teachers--including my teachers in Santa Fe--use frankincense to invite openings to the spirit (often during fire ceremonies). And, of course, the mythology of frankincense adds another interesting layer to that particular oil.

_/|\_
steph

Norma Rae 03-08-2013 08:57 PM

Brit . . . just got a hot oil defuser for essential oils. Looking forward to 5 drops of ylang ylang / 1 rose during meditation in the ol' home meditation/yoga room! Thank you for your guidance. And please do share any reading suggestions on essential oil practice(s).

two hands together.
_/|\_
steph

GentleRick 03-28-2013 07:32 AM

Hi Norma Rae -

I use Essential Oils for emotional level issues, flower essences for spirit level.

Here are some of my tips:

Only use a trusted source for high-quality oils. Some can be quite expensive, like rose oil and blue tansy. But a good carrier oil will help it last.

One company I use is http://omnessence.net

For chest/sinus areas, use sunflower as a carrier oil
For anxiety or nervous issues, Jojoba oil as a carrier
For fever, canola oil as a carrier.

One or two drops of essential oil in a tsp of carrier will do. For a strong mix, 2-10 drops

Norma Rae 03-28-2013 10:39 PM

Rick--thank you so much for this wonderful advice! Will definitely put it to immediate use! Is there a good "everyday" (for lack of a better word) carrier that you would recommend? Also, do you have any knowledge of oils that balance the doshas? I am a pitta (dominate) with a bit of vatta thrown in for good spacy fun! I'm just guessing that a "cooling" oil would be best for a pitta. Any suggestions? And thank you, also, for sharing a trusted vendor with me (and all of us!).

two hands together
_/|\_
steph

GentleRick 03-29-2013 09:18 AM

Hi Norma Rae -

I work with the Chinese Five Element/Five Spirit system so for cooling I will recommend either a Metal or Water element essential oil.

Here are some suggestions:

Black Spruce
Helichrysum
Frankensense
Clary Sage

As far as an everyday carrier oil, and given that you lean towards Pitta, I would suggest the canola oil or sesame oil.

Keep us posted! Right now I am using Spikenard for help with sleep and with remembering dreams. I put a few drops on a tissue under my pillow at night.