Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Happenings (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Downton Abbey Season 3 Ep 1 (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214111)

Chi 01-06-2013 08:14 PM

Downton Abbey Season 3 Ep 1

Let me be the first to say...
Shirley was wonderful. Such spice!
Encore Ms. MacLaine! Encore!

Love,
Chi

RobKendall 01-06-2013 09:58 PM

I must agree with Chi

1 Attachment(s)
A friend in Europe, who had already seen D.A. Series 3, warned me to expect greatness. He was entirely correct. Shirley was so very good. I had to remind myself afterwards that it was Shirley; I only saw the character she created. It was a wonderful episode and am looking forward to next week.

Cushings 01-06-2013 11:17 PM

Hello,

Fantastic Show and Bravo Shirley!

Love,
Di

sisterlura 01-07-2013 04:22 PM

Loved every second of it!! Shirley, you are brilliant in it!!!

Love,
Lura :D

RobKendall 01-07-2013 06:15 PM

A link to watch it again (through March 3, 2013)

1 Attachment(s)
http://video.wttw.com/video/2322846575

P.S. unlike its original broadcast, this contains commercial breaks.

ShelleyD 01-08-2013 02:19 PM

I just have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! I did not watch the last 2 seasons and it did not matter at all, it was pretty easy to follow.

Shirley was perfect in my opinion. Her addition to this cast I thought was such an added treat to what they already have going on. And the words used here to describe her performance...."wonderful", "spice", "greatness", "brilliant", I totally agree!!

Congratulations Shirley!!

Love,
Shelley

patswife 01-08-2013 05:27 PM

Great job, Shirley !!! Loved the humor and the glamour you brought to the show. You and Maggie Smith should have a spin-off series!
Joanne

sunni6ft 01-08-2013 11:31 PM

LOVE Downton Abbey... and Shirley you made it better! Your performance was brilliant!!!

MORE MORE MORE!

Congratulations and Bravo!

renaissance 01-09-2013 12:22 PM

Well said Sunni and everyone else here! Here here! You play off Maggie Smith brilliantly Shirley! Aw....don't go back to California ..I hope you're in the next episode!!! :confused:

Chi 01-09-2013 05:08 PM

i'm home with the flu but i just wanted to add
that my favorite scene with Maggie Smith was
when she mistook Lord Grantham for the help
(asking him if she might have a drink)
because he was in a short dinner jacket for
the first time. His reaction was so subtly priceless.
And my favorite scene with Shirley was when
she was finishing up her dinner at the dinner
table annoying the lot with her progressive
ideas and contrariness. She was great and
so was everyone else at the table as a
comic ensemble.
Also loved that line in the church:
Maggie (something to the effect of)
"how nice it is to see the future unfolding"
and Shirley (something to the effect of)
"yes as long as you remember it will in no
way resemble the past."
One of many striking truisms uttered during
this first episode of the third season.
Back to bed. Soft Grin...
Love,
Chi

sisterlura 01-10-2013 07:43 AM

dear Chi ...

Awww ... sorry to hear you have the flu, Chi ~ it's hit a couple of Sisters here at the convent, too. Hope you are feeling better by the time you read this.

I too loved those scenes - and Martha at the dinner table, chewing and talking a mile a minute, made me laugh because I immediately flashed to Marjorie Nugent's chewing scene in "Bernie." Shirley should get a special award for making us laugh simply by chewing food, ha!

Love, love, love "Downton Abbey." Let's hope Martha comes back for Edith's wedding!

Hugs,
Lura :)

debabbott 01-10-2013 05:46 PM

I usually fall asleep watching anything at night, but not this one, not Downton Abbey! I was totally engrossed in every moment and following through to the end. I loved every minute of it and Shirley's performance only enhanced what I saw last season and picked up the pace a bit with
her mischievious nature of being brutally honest in the midst of the staunch
British. I loved it!!! Now I know where I will be every Sunday evening...
So happy to share it with the all of you.

Shirley, perfect, perfect, perfect, that is all I can say. What a joy it is to watch you my dear friend.

Love,
Deb

RobKendall 01-10-2013 08:01 PM

The Power of Shirley

1 Attachment(s)
There is something that has gone unremarked so far that I wanted to call to everyone's attention. The episode of Downton Abbey that aired for the first time in the United States on Sunday evening gave PBS it highest ratings in well over twenty years. Yes, you heard me right, twenty years. Such is the power of Shirley that she can send their ratings into the stratosphere. Not only is her performance universally agreed to be truly magnificent, she can also bring in the audience to watch with five times the normal viewership. That is a 400% increase over the normal viewing audience. Brava!

OneLight 01-11-2013 11:09 AM

Chiming in with the others...
Shirley, great performance. I love especially the
way you and Maggie play off each other.
Thoroughly enjoyed the season opener.

Chi, I hope you are feeling better. Sending some
energies to surround you.

Love...Peg

A Dreamer 01-11-2013 12:18 PM

Shirley,

Let me call you sweetheart. I'm in love with you!
Great performance. Wonderful series.

A Dreamer

ShelleyD 01-12-2013 10:34 PM

In regards to Rob's post....Well, I and many people that I know were first time viewers, tuning in to watch Shirley, so I am not surprised by that! :D

Really looking forward to this next part tomorrow night!

RobKendall 03-05-2013 02:38 AM

Shirley MacLaine to Return to ‘Downton Abbey,’ but Others Are Leaving the Series

One of the "most e-mailed" stories at The New York Times website:

By DAVE ITZKOFF
Last Updated: 10:16 AM CST [03/04/2013]

"The revolving door of casting continues to spin at “Downton Abbey” as the popular PBS/”Masterpiece” period drama prepares for its fourth season. After a year in which the series lost the actors Dan Stevens, who played Matthew Crawley, and Jessica Brown Findlay, who played Lady Sybil (for reasons that the “Downton Abbey” creator Julian Fellowes explained here), PBS announced over the weekend that some new faces would join the series and that a familiar one was returning. But another well-known co-star has also announced her exit.

Shirley MacLaine, who appeared in Season 3 of “Downton Abbey” as Martha Levinson, the outspoken mother of Cora, Countess of Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern), and who served as a foil to the Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith), will return in Season 4, PBS said. Several new actors were announced for the series, including Tom Cullen, whose character, Lord Gillingham, is described as “an old family friend of the Crawleys who visits the family as a guest for a house party”; Harriet Walter who will play Lady Shackleton (“an old friend of the Dowager”); and Julian Ovenden as Charles Blake (an “aristocrat”). The soprano Kiri Te Kanawa will also appear on “Downton Abbey” as “a guest who sings in the house.”

No further information was given about these characters or a premiere date for Season 4. In a brief statement, Rebecca Eaton, the executive producer of “Masterpiece,” said, “The addition of these characters can only mean more delicious drama — which is what ‘Downton Abbey’ is all about.”

The announcement did not mention the actress Siobhan Finneran, who plays the Machiavellian housemaid Mrs. O’Brien and who told The Daily Mirror of London that she was leaving “Downton Abbey.” “I’m not doing any more,” Ms. Finneran said. “O’Brien is a thoroughly despicable human being — that was great to play.” Though Mrs. O’Brien’s essential function was making life miserable for members of the “Downton Abbey” household, Ms. Finneran did not indicate that this was a factor in her departure. “I actually have great fun being sniffy to everyone,” she said.

Meanwhile, Seth Meyers, the “Weekend Update” anchor of “Saturday Night Live,” addressed various reports and rumors that “Downton Abbey” would be adding its first black character."

renaissance 03-08-2013 08:54 AM

:)

Thanx for the great update Rob! I'm still wearing my black armband for Matthew Crawley :( Can't say I'll be sad to see O'Brien go !What a great actress that gal is!! And how fantastic is that ,that our Shirley(Martha )is coming back for a visit.Go get 'em Martha! Straighten that family out will ya??! Seriously,I'm glad to hear we don't have top wait as long for the next part to start.April ,I think.Yay!!
be well,Renny

ULLA RUNCHEL 03-10-2013 02:18 PM

Hi

Hi all

Saturday evening it was Denmark`s turn, to see Shirley in Dowton Abbey...and she was awesome and her aura is huge..no matter what she is playing..she really got something special...intelligence humor...my God she can play....her body soul and mind.is one powerful energy when she act,...and I LOVE it!! well done dear Shirley.

HUgs to all
Ulla
:)

RobKendall 06-24-2013 05:19 AM

This just in -

1 Attachment(s)
Downton Abbey Exclusive: Paul Giamatti Joins Season 4 Cast as Cora's [Son]
TVLine, by Michael Ausiello

Downton Abbey is bracing for another American invasion. TVLine has learned exclusively that Paul Giamatti (Sideways, Cinderella Man) is joining the PBS phenom’s Season 4 cast as Harold Levinson, the maverick, playboy brother of Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) and uncle to Mary (Michelle Dockery) and Edith (Laura Carmichael). Giamatti, who earned an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his title role in HBO’s miniseries John Adams, is set to appear in the Season 4 finale alongside returning guest star Shirley MacLaine (as Cora and Harold’s mother, Martha). Exec producer Gareth Neame describes Harold as “free-spirited” and promises that both Giamatti and MacLaine will “upset the Grantham’s apple cart” in the finale. Giamatti joins fellow Season 4 newbies Dame Harriet Walters (as an old friend of Maggie Smith’s Dowager), Nigle Harman (as a visiting valet named Green), and Tom Cullen (as a new love interest for Mary). Abbey‘s fourth season will premiere stateside on PBS on Jan. 5, 2014.

http://tvline.com/2013/06/24/downto...arold-season-4/

GentleRick 06-24-2013 08:50 AM

very cool! practicing patience....

xo

RobKendall 06-24-2013 04:33 PM

Here is the take on this from the other side of the Pond

1 Attachment(s)
Downton Abbey: Paul Giamatti joins cast as 'maverick playboy' uncle
The makers of Downton Abbey have announced a new character for series four – a 'playboy' uncle for Lady Mary played by award-winning actor Paul Giamatti.

By Hannah Furness - 3:37PM BST 24 Jun 2013

Paul Giamatti, who has previously appeared in Sideways, John Adams and Cinderella Man, will play Harold, the “maverick” brother of Cora, Countess of Grantham. He will appear alongside his on-screen mother, American actress Shirley MacLaine, in the Christmas special; the climax of series four. He will join a host of new cast members, including Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, Nigel Harman, Joanna David and Gary Carr.

Programme makers have hinted the “free-spirited” character, an uncle to Lady Mary and Lady Edith, is sure to “upset the Grantham's apple cart”. Last year’s Christmas special saw Matthew Crawley, played by actor Dan Stevens, killed off in a car accident just moments after the birth of his first child. The fourth series of the popular television show is expected to follow Lady Mary as she adjusts to life as a widow.

Gareth Neame, managing director of Carnival Films which makes the programme, said, “We're excited that Paul Giamatti will be joining us on Downton to play Cora's brother Harold, the rather free-spirited uncle to Mary and Edith. “We can't wait to see him work alongside Shirley Maclaine, who are both sure to upset the Grantham's apple cart in this year's Christmas Day episode.” Other new cast members expected on screen in the autumn include Tom Cullen and Julian Ovenden, who will play dashing young aristocrats.

Dame Kiri Te Kanawa will make her Downton debut with a cameo as an opera singer, while Joanna David plays an upper class family friend. Gary Carr will play a members of a jazz band, and former soap actor Nigel Harman joins the cast as a valet. Giamatti has previous won Golden Globe, Emmy and SAG awards for his appearances in shows including John Adams, Sideways, Barney’s Version and Cinderella Man. Downton Abbey, which has already won nine Emmys, two Golden Globes, and a Screen Actors Guild Award, will return to ITV in September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...yboy-uncle.html

P.S. and as an added bonus:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...n-pictures.html

Cushings 06-26-2013 01:13 AM

Downton Abbey & Wines That Rock

Ha-ha, giggle and hello,

News, news and more news, this one got my attention today:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...to-be-released/

Cheers,
Love,
Di

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slide...g?1362452337000