Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   I.E. Radio (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=278)
-   -   Baltho, The Dog Who Owned a Man (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=214006)

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-15-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks, Steven. I sometimes wonder if anyone is out there, but I see the string hits keep rising geometrically.

Be sure to help me spread the word and ask your local and college/univ./HS libraries to order a copy of Baltho.

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-19-2013 10:27 AM

We've experienced a bit of a miracle with Sky. I've been waiting to make sure it's lasting. So far, so good. I'm able to let him off the leash over on the fenced in peninsula so he and Melkie can run around and explore together. Sky hesitates for a bit but then takes off. Previously he refused to do anything but wait at the gate wanting to go home to safety.

At first he didn't want to follow me and Melkie back to the gate once he got going, but Melkie started fetching him and getting him to follow. Now he even stays with Melki and follows me back, though a football field behind.

Whew.

And, Sky willingly goes to the door for our night walk now. For some time he resisted, not wanting to go outside after dark.

Melkie seems to be taking up his role as co-therapist for disturbed dogs now too.

Don't forget to join us on Baltho, The Dog Who Owned a Man's FB page https://www.facebook.com/BalthoTheD...Man?ref=hl--and buy the book--either from me or from Amazon or your local store. And ask your local public, college, and univ. libraries to order a copy so others might enjoy it.

Cher O 08-19-2013 01:07 PM

It's nice to see your dog coming out of its shell....

Isn't it wonderful when they do something so gratifying? Sky sounds like he was a very shy, maybe fearful, dog. Your work with him is paying dividends now. I could visualize him running and playing with Melkie and it was a very happy picture. Thank you for painting it.... Love, C.

P.S. And you ARE being read.... :)

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-19-2013 06:00 PM

Thanks, Cher. I appreciate the feedback. Sky spent his first five years as a kennel dog, going to shows, winning his Championship, and I suppose breeding. Then they neutered him and wanted someone to adopt him.

I brought him home the morning I had to take Hattie to be euthanized because she just couldn't go on. It was all too crazy.

Poor Sky lacks socialization skills but loves going in the car. I'd guess that reminds him of his past as a show dog.

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-24-2013 09:37 AM

Here a link to an article that Geoff Ward wrote about my ongoing journey with co-therapist Afghan Hound Baltho. Geoff is a British freelance writer and lecturer in English Literature living in SW Ireland. He is vitally interested in the mysterious.

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...ith-three-lives

Trust the mystery: Baltho, the dog with three lives
www.allvoices.com
The extraordinary world of Denver psychotherapist and coach Thomas Ramey Watson and his therapy dogs. . . Tom got a message to say the Afghan pup

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-26-2013 08:27 AM

Should I start a call-in talk show?

My publicist suggests I start doing an internet talk show with call-ins. The program he's recommended gives you a two hour slot every day. I don't think I can manage that. I've got to find out if I could do it maybe twice a week. I'm thinking weekends. Days, nights?

Any ideas? I would need a number of you to call in and help keep things going.

I would no doubt center on dogs and cats, with a spiritual perspective, since that's my own focus.

Thomas Ramey Watson 08-31-2013 10:15 AM

Selling more copies of Baltho, The Dog Who Owned a Man, both paperback and Kindle. The publicity campaign, slow but sure, is helping.

A reminder: if any of you want to order 2 or more signed and inscribed copies of Baltho directly from me, I'll make you a better deal if you send me a check so I avoid the Pay Pal and other middleman charges. Just message or email me.

Thomas Ramey Watson 09-01-2013 10:28 AM

Last night both cats decided to follow me and both dogs down the street toward the peninsula. The cats dropped out midway. On our way back home, I met a neighbor out trying to get his black lab inside. We stood to talk a few minutes.

Noir soon appeared. The neighbor said, "That cat is crazy."

"That's Noir, our cat," I said.

"He follows me down the street," the neighbor said. "He'll see me and start following."

I laughed. "He more than the typical cat. He thinks he's part dog."

Noir followed me and the dogs back.

I figured Poos Poos would be home waiting. He was.

Thomas Ramey Watson 09-09-2013 07:42 PM

Well, about an hour ago, just as a big thunderstorm was starting Melchior insisted on going outside. Reluctantly, I agreed. He peed but didn't poop. There was no way I was going to keep going when the lightning was flashing and rain was starting to pour.

Noir finally came to the door soaking wet. We all stayed inside till the storm passed.

Then both Noir and Melchior insisted on going out again, with Noir following several paces behind.

We lost Noir for a bit. Suddenly, he appeared on the neighbor's four foot high wall. Melchior ran over, raised up, and tried to paw him, knocking him off onto the other side. Melchior almost leapt over the wall after him--except that I held the leash.

Thomas Ramey Watson 09-18-2013 10:27 AM

One of my neighbors complained that I had to keep Noir in my own yard because he suddenly appeared on her upstairs deck and looked in at her partner and her cat. She even sent pics to prove it.

Those are the HOA rules, she said.

I finally wrote her this. I hope it works. It isn't as though he's out attacking them or their pets.

Have you tried talking to Noir and asking him not to visit your house? He's very smart and intuitive. I know that as an old soul, he understands a lot. I've been talking to him about it because several neighbors have pointed out that our what-used-to-be bad squirrel problems have disappeared because of his patrols. Maybe a year before Noir arrived, [name] had squirrels invade their attic and ruin their wiring and insulation, costing lots of money to repair. Frank was telling me that he and his wife watch Noir running around my roof chasing the squirrels off. I know he does that elsewhere. And he also keeps them from destroying my fruit and vegetables as they used to. I heard that he no longer hangs out at [name]'s as he did for awhile when their cats interested him.

Channel 9 News Storytellers is interested in doing a story about me and the incarnations of Baltho and Figgy, who, as I've mentioned, are now Melchior and Noir.

Btw, please put in a word in support of Storytellers doing a segment on this. They're dragging their heels after expressing interest. https://www.facebook.com/9NEWSstorytellers