Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Meditations (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=294)
-   -   Walking meditations (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=213790)

ShirleyMac 08-19-2012 01:04 PM

Walking meditations

Hello
Do you do walking meditations? What is the focus when you do?

S_Amberly 08-19-2012 06:25 PM

Sometimes. I am not so good at completely emptying my head during walking meditations, so usually I visualize joy and health for myself, family, and friends. Now I will focus on the same for my beautiful, brand new nephew John Crawford Free. I have never done so much purposeful visualization in my life as I have since he was born. It works. I will be SURE he has a wonderful life. I will SEE to it.

(Notice how Aunts can slip in a bit of bragging under any topic.)

Kata0 08-19-2012 08:31 PM

Walking Meditations

Shirley, I found a great CD for training one in walking meditation techniques. I left it in storage in Florida, but Im sure you could find it on google or maybe Amazon.

Kata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyMac
Hello

Samcrawford 08-20-2012 02:20 AM

I do but it took me a while to realise that that's what I'd been doing! Once a month I head into the city and walk along the Thames. It's a pretty long route, about an hour, but it takes in all the sights of London and the energy is so vibrant. I find myself doing the walk and focusing on what changes I can make to my life and feeling totally peaceful and content even though I'm walking through a busy city!

nyspirit 09-03-2012 07:31 AM

I become one with nature

The goal for me is to become one with nature.

When I am the tree, the grass, the sky, the birds, the animals, the wind, the sun, the rain, the smell of nature, the peace and serenity of nature, then nature and myself are one.

SingerActressAuthor 09-03-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:
Hello

I do walking meditations, bike riding meditations and then DMV meditations.
My focus is on being mindful and careful.

Cushings 09-03-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:
Hello

Did, at one time enjoy walking meditations until falling over things/the ground in front of me caused it to become a counter-productive practice, really was sort of funny, now it is a sedentary. What do you focus on Shirley?

Love,
Di

Chi 09-08-2012 08:16 AM

Walking is a great way to exercise being present;
i think because it's so hard to be present when walking. Ha!
Because while my body is moving forward or backward;
(parallel to that) so is my mind. (i'm so conscious of this now).

With each step, my mind separates itself from my body;
working out this problem or that problem, dwelling on this
solution or that solution. And most of it's involuntary;
something to do with work (which is at least creative. Ha!)
or bills and upcoming events that have to be orchestrated.
Soft Grin...
And sometimes i'm just plain feeling, ya know? Feeling the
events of a day or a year or a lifetime. Sigh...
So while my body is moving forward and my feet are hitting
the ground, my mind is usually everywhere but here now.

But when i remind myself that there are two journeys going
on during walking (the physical and the metaphysical);
then i become more conscious of my spirit and how it's
moving; and i begin to make a concerted effort to reach
out an ethereal arm to grab it (each time i have to) and yank
it back to be present with my body.

One knows when they are truly present during walking; because
there's a subtle shift in awareness that occurs as we're being
(mentally and spiritually) present (while our bodies are moving
physically through time and space).

Suddenly we begin to see that we're defying time and space;
transcending time and space with every step we take. Moving
physically forward or backward while remaining still and present;
it boggles the mind. Ha! The mind says: "This can't be". And then...
Off it goes again... on it's own journey. Too funny...

i love you. Thank you.
Chi

Lah 09-09-2012 11:43 AM

;)

I ask people in my life, to take the form, they live in my life at this moment, and ask them what color they need to be in perfect balance and harmony within their lives right now.. They pull a color from the cosmos and it comes through me to them... I'm working offf karma this way.. Sometimes I will ask, what color they need to connect with their all knowing, all loving higher self at this moment in their lives...and they pull it from the cosmos through me into their space... :) I used to hike the Atalaya trail , for many years, now I belly dance 4 times a week. Go to College full-time and raise my adopted teen age kid...:) alone!!! I will graduate in May "13" with a AA in film production!!!

Carmen Camille 09-09-2012 01:33 PM

Yeah! A break in 100 degree temperatures here. A real break, it dropped into the 80's. So, I got in two nice walks this weekend.

renaissance 09-18-2012 03:00 PM

Peace be unto you!

We're lucky enough to have fantastic choices in Nature here where I live too Shirley to do walking,hiking,biking,jogging mindfulness meditations.It's funny but when you really get into it,through the breath and /or mantras, worries about tripping,falling,crashing,getting lost etc. seem to fall (maybe a bad choice of word? ;) away as does time. Sometimes all the beauty around you seems to be enhanced to all the senses! I luv travelling to other places that have labyrinths.There is one at a Jesuit retreat nearby,out in the countryside yet near a busy road.Whe you're walking this particular labyrinth, all the busy-ness fades away.I took a dear friend there once who had just recovered from a severe stroke.It was both very challenging and a way of finding serenity and grace for us both.We will never forget that experience!I love repeating mantras with breath at these times and if I may I'd love to share a fave with you all and I'd love to hear more from others!
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

Basia 09-18-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance
We're lucky enough to have fantastic choices in Nature here where I live too Shirley to do walking,hiking,biking,jogging mindfulness meditations.It's funny but when you really get into it,through the breath and /or mantras, worries about tripping,falling,crashing,getting lost etc. seem to fall (maybe a bad choice of word? ;) away as does time. Sometimes all the beauty around you seems to be enhanced to all the senses! I luv travelling to other places that have labyrinths.There is one at a Jesuit retreat nearby,out in the countryside yet near a busy road.Whe you're walking this particular labyrinth, all the busy-ness fades away.I took a dear friend there once who had just recovered from a severe stroke.It was both very challenging and a way of finding serenity and grace for us both.We will never forget that experience!I love repeating mantras with breath at these times and if I may I'd love to share a fave with you all and I'd love to hear more from others!
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

Love this post Renaissance, Thank You.

sisterlura 09-18-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance
Peace be unto you
Harmony within
Open hearts and minds
Healing She begins

We have both an indoor and an outdoor labyrinth on our property - come visit our convent! There's also a Jesuit Retreat Center about 15 miles from me - they have a labyrinth, too - and a Catholic convent up the road just finished a gorgeous outdoor labyrinth, built with beautiful pavers.

I also tend to walk one at least once a week, if possible. Just clears the mind and keeps things in perspective for me. Amazing how the experience changes with the seasons, time of day/night, solo or with companions, etc etc. Have been doing this for years now - absolutely my favorite kind of moving meditation.

Love,
Lura

patswife 09-19-2012 05:20 PM

This sounds wonderful, Lura. I like what you say how the experience changes with the seasons, light, time of day, etc. I will sit out on my deck after dinner and have noticed the same thing. The light will be different, for example, and put me in a different mood than say a month before. It just shows me how our moods and thoughts can be very much connected to our environment. Each season tends to bring forth different feelings and emotions. Which is why we should appreciate all that nature has to offer, whether we associate negative or positive feelings with each passing season. We just have to be open to loving all that this beautiful planet has to offer.
Love,
Joanne

sisterlura 09-20-2012 05:53 AM

I totally agree, Joanne. Your post also led me to the reflection on how our "exterior" affects our "interior," whether we are consciously aware of it or not.

Ex: walking an outdoor labyrinth in bare feet is profoundly different than walking it in Birkenstocks! Wearing a long black habit affects my posture and walking rythmn differently than if I was wearing sweats and sneakers.

Etc etc.

It's very windy here today - I'm sure this will be a vastly different experience than my walking meditation in Tuesday's torrential down-pour!

Love,
Lura

renaissance 09-20-2012 12:31 PM

Oh I love your posts ladies! so very insightful..thanx for that.oooo i'd luv to visit your labyrinths dear Lura.Indoor too!Wow!. I have to say I think for me,fall and spring are my fave times of the year.for walking etc,the renewal and the hunkering down cycles,Persephone arises to the light then back down to the darkness,a beautiful ancient metaphor,a great reminder of our own hopes of renewal and time to reflect upon those people and things we love and look forward to.

jade74 09-24-2012 10:43 AM

When I walk I have to remind myself to look up so I don't miss what surrounds me. I used to force my head up just enough to take in my surroundings before I would find myself looking down again. I always looked down because it was a natural pose to find myself in while thinking. I realize now that I have to balance my thinking with time for just being. Now when I walk I do more than just hold my head up high, I watch the skies. Not only do I have to be conscious of my surroundings so I don't trip, but watching the sky reminds me how much space we have around us. During the Spring and Summer months the skies expand for me. They are clear. I bring a pen and paper to jot notes so I can think later. In the Fall months the air is crisp and I am surrounded by colour. The skies start to cloud up and turn grey. I focus more on being mindful and in the present.
In the winter.....well, the dark, cold, damp weather makes anything a challenge. I will let you know how it goes this year!
I like to walk my dog a lot, but I feel guilty meditating or thinking when I am with her. I want to give her my undivided attention and I enjoy watching her.

Cher O 09-28-2012 12:05 PM

When I walk....

1 Attachment(s)
if I find myself feeling particularly close to Nature, animals seem to pop out of the woodwork. Small snakes, great blue herons, frogs, dragonflies, squirrels and birds abound. I find these help me to get out of my own way and to just be. I often take my camera with me to capture the beauty. I have been lucky. Love, C.

tjs1025 09-29-2012 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently graduated from college and have been having some difficulty in transitioning onto the next chapter of my life. Two Sundays ago, I was sick and tired of feeling trapped in my house and having nowhere to go, so I decided to head to a local park near my house by myself.

This was a wonderful idea. I sat on a bench and wrote in my journal for a little bit. I then walked around the different paths in and around the forest. I was surrounded by trees and about 100 feet to my right was a magnificent pond. Between the fall foliage, the reflection of the sun along the pond and the distant laughter and screams of children playing--I finally felt at ease. Nonetheless, I went returned and repeated my new meditation last Sunday.

I just used this as an opportunity to gather my thoughts. Why am I having so much difficulty in transitioning from college into the real world? Why have I become extremely nostalgic? How can I make my life better back home now that everyone else I used to be close with has since relocated? Why has nothing panned out despite my tenacity and persistence?

It then dawned on me that nature and I were truly in sync. I thought of all my thoughts and memories as the leaves that were changing color and falling. Before I feel like I am finally heading in the right direction in my life, I have to be able to let go of everything, especially the belief that I am in absolute control of everything. When I am able to do this, things will begin to fall in place. Fresh and new. Things will begin to make sense again and I will know I am finally moving forward.

Basia 09-30-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs1025
I recently graduated from college and have been having some difficulty in transitioning onto the next chapter of my life. Two Sundays ago, I was sick and tired of feeling trapped in my house and having nowhere to go, so I decided to head to a local park near my house by myself.

This was a wonderful idea. I sat on a bench and wrote in my journal for a little bit. I then walked around the different paths in and around the forest. I was surrounded by trees and about 100 feet to my right was a magnificent pond. Between the fall foliage, the reflection of the sun along the pond and the distant laughter and screams of children playing--I finally felt at ease. Nonetheless, I went returned and repeated my new meditation last Sunday.

I just used this as an opportunity to gather my thoughts. Why am I having so much difficulty in transitioning from college into the real world? Why have I become extremely nostalgic? How can I make my life better back home now that everyone else I used to be close with has since relocated? Why has nothing panned out despite my tenacity and persistence?

It then dawned on me that nature and I were truly in sync. I thought of all my thoughts and memories as the leaves that were changing color and falling. Before I feel like I am finally heading in the right direction in my life, I have to be able to let go of everything, especially the belief that I am in absolute control of everything. When I am able to do this, things will begin to fall in place. Fresh and new. Things will begin to make sense again and I will know I am finally moving forward.

So nice! Enjoy walking new paths and don't look back! Past is done but future is just opening its door to you. May your journey be filed with harmony, love and peace.