Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Transformational Travel (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=263)
-   -   The Camino (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=213787)

Samcrawford 08-17-2012 08:33 AM

The Camino

Having had a rough couple of weeks through illness, I had alot of time to think about where I'm going and what I want from life. In recent months I've discovered so much but I'm still not sure what I'm meant to do with it all. One of the books I read during the two weeks was Shirley's 'Camino' book and it was almost like I could hear a voice saying "You're reading this to prepare yourself. You're going to do this". So today, taking advantage of feeling much better, I booked my flight to Biarritz and will start my Camino Frances walk on October 4th! I'm very excited and wondered if anyone else here had done the Camino and what advice they would have?

sisterlura 08-17-2012 12:21 PM

so cool!

Wow, GOOD FOR YOU, Sam!!! What a fabulous "get well goal" you have set for yourself!!

No, I've never done that pilgrimage but have spoken with many who have and they all say that it's an amazing, life-altering experience.

Woo Hoo!! I'm excited for you!

Love,
lura :)

patswife 08-18-2012 06:03 PM

Hi Sam,
I am so excited for you. This is something I think I would love to do, but probably wouldn't have the nerve to do it. Not alone, anyway. If this comes to pass, lease keep us updated. Would love to hear of your adventures!
Joanne

Samcrawford 08-19-2012 03:50 AM

Thankyou both! :)

It's a very strange thing because unlike any other travel, there's alot of "don't knows" involved. I can only book my outgoing flight and a hotel for the first night, once the walk actually starts it's all a "don't know". But I'm very excited and gathering the various things I'll need to take with me.

ULLA RUNCHEL 08-23-2012 05:34 AM

Hi Sam

Hi Sam

Sounds good,...many of my friends have done this trip....let us know when you're back,..if you like to share the trip with us,...wish you all the best.

You must be from Europe LOL,..everyone else i into a deep sleep now in USA.

Ulla

Samcrawford 08-23-2012 03:11 PM

:D I am indeed in Europe, I live in London. I'm now getting everything ready for the Camino, I'm going to a little rented cottage in Devon with some friends to get some hiking practise in, I think I'm going to need not being a natural walker!

ilex 08-27-2012 10:09 AM

Best wishes

I'll be holding a good thought for you. I've wanted to make the trek for some time. I've had to be content reminding myself that every day, in a spiritual sense, I'm walking that road.
Please update us. I'd really like to hear about your adventures.
My love and prayers go out to you.
Ilex

sisterlura 08-27-2012 02:00 PM

The Way

Sam, there's a good movie that came out last year (this year? can't remember!) called "The Way" -- the scenery alone is worth watching it!

Please doo keep us posted ~ we'll be cheering you on :D

Love,
Lura

monti1980 08-27-2012 02:44 PM

Loved it

Lura I rented and watched The Way and it was so good. I love Martin Sheen in just about anything but this was special. I would love to walk it one day, how about you!

Samcrawford 08-28-2012 04:43 AM

Thankyou everyone!

I managed to see 'The Way' yesterday, it's quite handy to give it to friends and family who have no idea what I'm doing, so far people think I'm a little crazy. I'm now almost prepared. Everything I need is either on order or already bought and I've booked a few days in a hotel at St Jean Pied-de-Port before I begin the walk. Spiritually, I'm not so prepared. There's excitement but then there's also a lot of fear and uncertainty. I know I have to walk the Camino yet there's nagging doubts about some things I'll leave behind. But I think the best way is to power through and stay focused on why I'm doing the Camino.

patswife 08-28-2012 05:46 PM

Sam,
Please keep us posted on your journey. Some of us will be living vicariously through you. I have always dreamed of doing this walk. But I guess for now, I will be happy to hear of your journey. Many of us will be there with you!!
Joanne

sisterlura 08-29-2012 06:14 AM

Lol, I just had an image of Monti, Joanne, and me trudging along behind Sam like three blind mice in little hiking boots ... :D

:p

Samcrawford 08-29-2012 03:11 PM

I'll certainly be taking thoughts of you all with me when I make my travels! I'm not sure how prevalent internet access will be (or how connected I want to be with home when I'm walking) but I do intend to keep a diary and share it in some form when I get back. :)

patswife 08-29-2012 05:42 PM

Lura, I love that image! Can you just see it!?! So funny!
Joanne

sunni6ft 08-29-2012 09:29 PM

The Way

... was wonderful, wish I could some day walk the Camino.

Basia 08-31-2012 04:58 PM

Dear Sam

Sending you warm wishes on your journey, let go of fear.. there is only experience and it looks like your soul is guiding you from within to do this. You are blessed.

Samcrawford 09-01-2012 12:57 PM

Thankyou Basia, that's so kind of you :)

Samcrawford 09-07-2012 09:32 AM

So, a little update! The schedule is set in stone for my arrival. I fly to Biarritz on the 4th October from London Stansted. Having never been, I'd like to have been able to explore Biarritz a little but unfortunately it's not going to be possible. So, from Biarritz I get the bus to Bayonne and then a train to St Jean Pied de Port. From what I've read, alot of peregrinos choose to stay in a refugio on the first night but I've decided to treat myself and spend a few days in a hotel in St Jean. It's a case of a first time traveller so I wanted to spend a few days gathering my thoughts and exploring the town. I'll get my credential here which will need to be stamped throughout the journey and then I set off on Sunday 7th which seemed a good day to choose as I read that 7 is the most spiritual number and is associated with searching for esoteric meaning which is the goal of my trip.

Buying the bits and pieces I'd need for the Camino proved to be quite an experience. I'm not a camping, active type so a warehouse full of equipment was quite confusing but I managed to find a kind assistant who helped me choose everything. It's hard to know what to take and what to leave behind but everything in my rucksack at the moment seems pretty essential. I'm getting used to thanking friends for good luck charms to take with me but secretly weighing them just in case! I've started to document the journey already and I've found I've ended up writing pages and pages about my life at this point and why I want to walk the Camino, what my hopes are and how I want to find change which is proving to be quite cathartic. Next week my sister is driving me our nearest woodland to do some walking with the packed rucksack which I'm hoping will prepare me physically. Mind and spirit seem in good order but the body might need a little work!

The response to my walk has been interesting. Some people are all for it and think it's fascinating, others think I'm being selfish and a bit silly but on the whole, there's alot of good luck and best wishes coming my way. The fears are subsiding and I'm actually getting excited, waiting to take my first steps. It seems bizarre that in a little over 3 weeks, I'll be boarding a plane to take me to something so "out there" but I honestly can't wait. I just hope I've not forgotten anything crucial!!