Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Aging (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=267)
-   -   Sleep (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=213423)

Vaughn 03-20-2012 10:03 AM

Sleep

My Mom is reaching the end of her long and trying life and I'm truly thankful that in these autumn moments of her time I can be with her.

At her wake it is my privilege to bring together moments, memories in imagery and song. I recently came across this wonderful compilation of 2000 voices from around the world ....I thought it might be appropriate to play it but not sure and wanted some feedback from folks.

It entitled "Sleep"

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...DTh22Q_Z9CrwOB-

sisterlura 03-20-2012 04:38 PM

love it

My two cents worth: I think it's absolutely glorious, Vaughn, and very appropriate (I don't know your mom, but I think it would be a wonderfully calm, beautiful, spacious tribute at a special person's service)

Go with your instinct. If it feels right ... go with it!

Love,
Lura

OneLight 03-20-2012 08:36 PM

Its beautiful, Vaughn.
As Lura says, if it feels right...go with it...

One of the most loving gifts we can give a loved one is to walk with them as far as we can as they approach the doorway to the next step on their soul's journey. It is a love that is shared and felt between the two, and a memory that each will always hold within their heart. May your mom's path be illumined by Light and may she rest in the peace of your love.

Love...Peg

Vaughn 03-21-2012 05:31 PM

thanks both of you for your support, it's just difficult to think of anything appropriate without being to syrupy or gloomy or overdone.

much appreciated.

OneLight 03-22-2012 05:40 AM

Vaughn,

May I just say this is not about what "other" people may think. This is about what you feel in your heart about honoring your mom, thanking her for her love and presence in your life, and paying tribute to her as you share memories that are special to you both. Always remember that whatever you decide to do, it holds an energy of love which will never be lost for either of you.

Love...Peg

sisterlura 03-22-2012 11:47 AM

Amen to what Peg just so wisely stated!

;)

monti1980 03-22-2012 09:02 PM

Beautiful

Peg you words move me everytime you post. I agree with everything that was said, and Vaughn this is your goodbye to your Mom. It should reflect what you feel as you bid your Mother goodbye on her new journey into the light and love.

OneLight 03-23-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti1980
Peg you words move me everytime you post. I agree with everything that was said, and Vaughn this is your goodbye to your Mom. It should reflect what you feel as you bid your Mother goodbye on her new journey into the light and love.

Thank you, monti. How are you doing, dear one? I think of you everyday and continue to surround you with loving Light. It is my hope and intent that you find at least a little peace each day as you walk your path. Always remember, you are loved by so many of us here.

(((HUGS)))
Peg

Loa 03-29-2012 04:18 PM

dear Vaughn , this video is one of the most touching and beautiful thing I´ve ever seen. Thank you so much for posting it.

Keep the energy of it´s beauty and peace in your soul , mind and heart because by doing so you will , like OneLight said so well , " walk with her as far as you can " And if you are asking if it´s right to play it for her , my answer is ... YES .

May god give her a peacful rest and a beautiful new journey. May light surround you.

Love , Lóa

Vaughn 03-30-2012 07:20 AM

Thanks so much Loa and everyone for your support, thank God Mom is still with us. In these times it's given me reflection on just how significant words, music, sounds are in the chorus of our lives.

Just as bitter, hateful and disruptive chords can cause pain, so can people of good cheer, loving thoughts and words instill hope, healing and love.

As I grow older I'm tuning out violent movies, sounds, messages of violence and war, crime...is that naive of me to turn away, to not want to around such communications? I know very well they exist but do I have to be reminded every day of my life, can I not fill that space with inspiration, sounds that move the heart and soul to such heights of wonder.

I'm so grateful for mother Nature, even on those rainy days, those rain drops can send me to slumber and peace, I wake up and the air is fresh and new again. God please give me the patience, and wisdom to always be humble, able to see the wonder that surrounds me, each and every moment.

Thank you
all for being just who you are.

Cushings 03-30-2012 06:11 PM

Hello,

I can relate to some of this, my 88-year old father lives with me and I left Shirley’s “I’m Over All That" on a coffee table awhile ago, and almost every time he goes by that table, he sort of perks-up, and says, “Hey, that’s Shirley MacLaine!” with a big smile on his face, as if it is the first time he has ever seen the book there, and it reminds me that there is still a little light left in him, most of the time he just complains about my brother and sister not caring about him and how much he misses my mother. I am so, so, tired, because it seems like there is little that I can do for him, but he is happy when he sees Shirley’s book, maybe I should buy a copy for every room in the house!

Thank you, Vaughn, for making me think 'outside-of-the-box' (which usually makes me giggle) and for your's and all who shared their thoughts about 'autum' I need it because I am new and alone at this, you're the best!

Love,
Di

patswife 03-31-2012 04:55 PM

Di,
That is so funny that your dad perks up when he sees Shirley's book. I love the idea of putting a book in every room! haha. Maybe he would like to sit and watch some of her movies. That might make him happy, too. It's not easy caring for an elderly parent--my heart goes out to you.
Love,
Joanne

Brit 05-24-2012 09:52 PM

Vaughn
How is your Mom doing?
BE

Vaughn 05-24-2012 10:37 PM

Each day is anew, as the Alzheimer's continues it's erasure of short term memory, yet we've found that what comforts her most is companionship, engaging conversation, she loves me to take her on drives through the countryside.

A new worry for me is that I've been offered a very good position at Boeing, having been out of work for so long I can hardly refuse to accept, yet I know that Mom will become saddened and depressed without company, so some alternative will have to be arranged.

I was listening this week to NPR about how many families are facing similar situations with aging parents, some having opted to leave their jobs to provide optimal care to those they love, even to selling one's home.

Most kind of you to ask Brit.

Thank you so much and to all for the kind thoughts and regards.

Brit 05-25-2012 09:35 AM

Vaughn
Congrats on the job!
Many communities have "senior companion programs". Some are sponsored by the United Way others through fire departments or community services.

As my father's health was failing I looked into several. It makes it nice to have someone that can be there to provide a break for family. Right now I have a woman who comes in and stays with my Mom a few hours a week because I can't be there all the time.

Do you have family members that skype? That's really kept my Mom going ;)
Just some thoughts. I know how torn you must feel and wish you and your Mom peaceful blessings.
BE

StevenOz 07-28-2012 04:02 AM

Best wishes! :)

Vaughn 07-28-2012 05:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for good ideas and best wishes.
Taking it day by day, some friends have offered to help out, which is wonderful.

That's the way it is.

ShirleyMac 08-12-2012 01:45 PM

Hello Vaughn
How are you and your mother?