Encounter Board

Encounter Board (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/index.php)
-   Earth Changes - NEW (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   If disaster struck are you prepared? (http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/encounter/showthread.php?t=202028)

Brit 06-08-2006 02:01 PM

If disaster struck are you prepared?

Where do we stand? Are we prepared for whatever disaster arises?
BE

Brit 06-08-2006 02:04 PM

And I think we should discuss what preparedness means :)

BE

A Dreamer 06-08-2006 02:48 PM

Not sure what prepared means

Hi Brit,
I am not sure what prepared means. If there was some reason we couldn't use our cars I have enough food in the house to last several months. If we don't have electricity then it would be a couple of months less food because of spoilage. If we have to do without water I don't know how I would deal with that. I have the means to heat the house for about a month with the firewood stacked and could cook on top of the Lopi (a castiron stove insert in the fireplace.) Plenty of batteries for flashligts and radio for a while. We have enough space to garden to keep ourselves.

If it means leaving the house I don't have any plans at all. If there was a national disaster and we could cross over into Canada we have a house there big enough for the family.

I don't know exactly what we are planning for. I live so close to Lake Erie that if someone like Gordon Michael Scallion is right I won't have to think about it. I'll be under water!

Dreamer

osiris 06-08-2006 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have anything stashed away, or put aside.
All I have is myself.
After what I have seen, I am prepared.
It is not the Earth Quake or other disaster I fear.
It is the number of people who will be displaced, among which the dregs of society will prey upon the weak.
I See Them Daily.
I am going to open myself up for rebuttal here.
I see, and experience, and am in the presence of despirate predatory beings. Drug addicts and alcoholics, gang bangers, thieves, and other criminals who when practicing have no compassion for anything, and not even themselves!
Living Human Garbage who have no purpose but to take up space on the face of the Earth, and want! Living to make themselves feel by inflicting pain upon others.
This is the world that exists outside suburbia, the inner city world. The bottom strata of society. That place no one wants to admit exists. Those people that is safer to remain in denial of.
Those of you blessed and privileged with a beautiful home, and all it's accoutrements therein and out.....
Think of the other end of the spectrum. The other side of the coin. The opposite place. The Yin opposing Yang.
I could be nicey nicey here.
The only reason have been able to survive in the places I have been is that I am a soldier, and no one will mess with me.
This is why this Earth Changes thing is so important to me.
When the Earth is displaced, so are the people. New Orleans was just a little preview. What I saw happening here where I now reside involved what people do to, and for each other.
When that Tsunami hit it was the end of the world.
When Katrina hit it was the end of the world.
It does not take much to end the world. Just a little nudge away from normal daily routine, and things get difficult.
We live in a universe of ordered chaos. Things are slated to happen, because God wants to see how we act and re-act.
Gurdjieff called this "The Terror of the Situation".

Ostrich may stick their head in the ground.....
People keep their head elsewhere.

The best part of this is people are going to rise to the occasion. The Good and Best in people will emerge, to counter the negative aspects out there.
People will come together to help each other despite adversity. Adversity will cause those who are of different customs and culture to put their differences aside and help each other, accept each other, and heal each other.
This is where from the End of the World comes a new beginning.

This is where I am going to be, and that's why I am here.;)

Jade 06-08-2006 02:56 PM

For me, personally, I have been preparing but am not there yet for anything long term.

I have stored plastic containers of water that I rotate from time to time..but would like to add to the supply.

I have a supply of blankets, tarps that I have gathered.

First aid kit for us and our furbabies. I also have created tinctures of some healing herbs...I have a large batch of Usnea brewing...antibotic properties. A little researching of edible plants~weeds like chickweed. Very nutricious.

Also have some various candles, flashlights, batteries, kerosene laterns and lights...camping equipment if we need.

Collecting non parishable foods, which I also tend to rotate...but I need to add to that supply as well...during Shirley's show I heard 1 month mentioned...not there yet. I think I have about a week actually more like 2.

One thing I want to tackle but haven't yet, is heat in our home. Living in the moutains, heat is an important issue. Years ago we installed a pellet burning stove but if we lost power it would do no good. I have wanted to remove it and go back to a fireplace/woodburning stove...but hubby is resistant.

We are blessed to live in a small town/rural area. We are close to moving water and can live very closely to the land if necessary. But I also realize our situation is different from many.

And for us personally, if we faced the scenario of Yellowstone blowing...basically I think it would be a matter of being prepared emotionally and spiritually to just return Home. And actually, if that is what I have chosen on some deeper level...I am prepared for that too.

Key is not living in fear. But in all honesty, if Yellowstone was going...I think I am grateful for living so close to "ground zero".

Blessings
Jade

frogborg 06-08-2006 03:12 PM

This is kind of a big question. If an earthquake shook and I had no where to go I think I know what to gather and do to survive for a while. I don't have a bin of food stashed in any one spot but could put one together in a pretty big hurry. I live in an area which is peat bog that they claim will experience liquafaction. Luckily we store our boat beside the house and have a first aid kit on it. We probably should stick some water & food on it too. Again its a matter of if there is enough time to gather things. If something happened so suddenly I don't think it would matter what you had prepared.

xo Froggie :)

Electra H 06-08-2006 03:22 PM

We are just beginning on this aspect of our little adventure. It has taken an enormous amount of work just to get here.

First, we had to sell our big mammoth house. Even with a woodburner/water heater outside and a fireplace inside, costed us big bucks to heat, cool and provide electricity for every year. Not to mention mortgage, insurance and upkeep.

At the sale of our home, we liquidated 60-75% of our "stuff" and were moving to NM to buy an earthship, when my 16 year old announced he was in love.

Switch plans, stay in Indiana..'listen to Spirit'.

Now we are renting a little house and meanwhile fixing up my mom's house so we can all live together. Even if the world does not come to some catastrophe, we have to be able to economically survive. Since the family business and my mom and dad's marriage went down the tubes, well...we are back to poor folk. Which is ok with me.

Then I had to tell the family what I was thinking without A) sounding more crazy than I already do B) scaring them C) being laughed at like I was at Y2K. Ahh...memories.

I am thinking so many things, but I truly believe I am not going to be alive in the body very long. However, I am trying to get my family in a place where they are ok.

Would love suggestions. We don't have the money to build a dome home (which is so cool) or do anything really like put in a fireplace or woodburner. I am stocking up on water and non-perishables.

I have read Zeta talk for a long time. I used to work at B&N and constantly was looking at things like Tom Brown and survivalist info. We know a lot of people that are good hunters, natural conservationists, self-sufficient farmers, eco-technologists and the like...but if it came down to it, we would be in very poor shape.

Since we have opened the topic I am doing more research....ha ha.

Electra

Siriusgirl 06-08-2006 03:33 PM

What Would I Do

That is a good question, and one I have considered. Living in northern Minnesota there is plenty of fresh water everywhere. However, I believe this whole area will be flooded and transport would be via boat. I live alone with 2 dogs and have supplies for a month and water stashed. Good neighbors close, and the ability to grow food if necessary. Truthfully, am not sure where I should be when all this occurs. Have been pursuing a different teaching job in santa fe with an interview over the phone set for tomorrow at 3. This willl be interesting.....

Being prepared, however, I think having considered it emotionally, first is important. I also understand what Osiris is saying about the mass exodus from citites. Most folks here are heavily armed - and very territorial. I dont' know - really - what will happen. I believe the good in all of us will come through, but in the long run, and I mean the very long run - these are questions I have had - my prayer is for peace and cooperation and goodwill - sharing and helping - all the best things for everyone.

I don't know - and I am glad we are talking about this - thank you for opening this up for sharing - I have written only about thoughts of my own and some ideas -

Nancy

IndigoWolf 06-08-2006 04:43 PM

Prepared? I guess I'm not quite there to my satisfaction yet but definately working on it. We've been working on it for a long time now.

When we built this place we did so with both Earth friendliness and Earth Changes in mind. The two concepts simply flowed together the more we studied and learned. There was and is no fear involved with it. What served us in getting off the grid and Earth friendly would also serve us in the event of Earth changes.

We've been off the grid from the beginning so we aren't dependant on outside sources of water or electricity. Since we are our own electric company we have lots of flashlights...LOL We have a wood burner for heat. We are working on creating a system to catch run off rain water for my garden but it has to rain for that to do any good...LOL I have an oil lamp collection and always keep plenty of oil on hand partly because I love the glow the lamps put out but it also serves as an added means of light if need be.

We keep about 4-6 months of food in storage and simply rotate it. I am a bit low right now but will be starting to re-stock the next trip to town. I just pick up a few extra non-perishable items each shopping trip. We live far enough away from town that this serves as a supply when ever we get snowed in for a while as well. We have emergency kits on hand and lots of camping gear too. We used to love going camping.

We will have chicks again as of the 12th of this month. We ordered them last Feb. and now I'm glad we did:) We had a flock for many years but had given away the last of them a few years ago. We know it's now time to start fresh with a new flock.

Interestingly enough we ended up with neighbors who also tend to keep things on hand, who garden and who are wonderful about working together on things. Each of these wonderful neighbors has one particular interest or specialty. One even has a hydroponic garden. Another is a doctor. Another one runs her place on solar energy and is a wellspring of knowledge when it comes to herbs and alternatives so between us we could help eachother if needed. As for transportation, nearly everyone in these parts has some 4-legged transportation if no gasoline were available (a horse) but it would be one heck of a long trip to town! :D

I do realize that this is not the case in a lot of places. It just happens to be the case here and I do know how blessed we are. There are a lot of simple, common sense measures anyone can take where ever they live.

I watched a movie the other night and one particular phrase was repeated over and over. It went something like this:

"How did the man stranded in the mountains die?
He died of shame. He died of shame because he didn't THINK.
In other words, he was surounded by food, water and shelter if he had only used his ability to "think". What a shameful way to die."

I look at the possibility of Earth Changes at so many different levels. The side this post reflects is what you might call the practical side. There is also the spiritual side, I am also learning about the quantum side and actually doing my own little experiments with that. Learning how to hop from dimension to dimension and reality to reality I guess you could say. I don't have to understand the math, only the concepts.

I also see the possibilities for people to discover the very best they can be and how to Love themselves and one another. If one or both of us decide we don't wish to go through this time of change it's ok. This place will come in handy for someone, perhaps some of our kids.

Wow! I didn't mean to write a book...sorry 'bout that. :o

Love,
Lala

An after-thought: You know the one neighbor who put out poison for the coyotes...his beef might start looking pretty tasty!... :D

Electra H 06-08-2006 04:43 PM

bump

bumping..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusgirl
That is a good question, and one I have considered. Living in northern Minnesota there is plenty of fresh water everywhere. However, I believe this whole area will be flooded and transport would be via boat. I live alone with 2 dogs and have supplies for a month and water stashed. Good neighbors close, and the ability to grow food if necessary. Truthfully, am not sure where I should be when all this occurs. Have been pursuing a different teaching job in santa fe with an interview over the phone set for tomorrow at 3. This willl be interesting.....

Being prepared, however, I think having considered it emotionally, first is important. I also understand what Osiris is saying about the mass exodus from citites. Most folks here are heavily armed - and very territorial. I dont' know - really - what will happen. I believe the good in all of us will come through, but in the long run, and I mean the very long run - these are questions I have had - my prayer is for peace and cooperation and goodwill - sharing and helping - all the best things for everyone.

I don't know - and I am glad we are talking about this - thank you for opening this up for sharing - I have written only about thoughts of my own and some ideas -

Nancy